I Can't Lose Her!

Even after hours of researching, they find absolutely nothing new for the demon vs. shifter quandary from yesterday. The three of them decide that more research is a waste of time, as it has gotten them nowhere. The Winchesters agree to head over to the town in the morning.

They begin once again to chat, laugh and have a good time but soon Mae's eyes feel tired from both the reading and how late it is. She looks at her watch and feels uneasy. I can't stay here again. Even coming back here for this long is risky. Looking over at Dean her heartbeat begins to quicken and that reminds her why she came back and will again and again.

Shaking her head to clear it a bit, she stands up and heads for the kitchen. "I need to pack up and get going for the night, guys."

"Already?" Sam asks, checking his watch. "Oh... nevermind, wow it got late."

Dean feels a little crestfallen at the thought of her leaving. "You could stay over again." He offers. "It's not like we don't have plenty of beds."

Pausing at Dean's words, she looks over her shoulder and responds. "Thanks, but I really do need to get going."

Sam follows her into the kitchen and begins helping her put all the supplies back into the boxes. Dean enters shortly after his brother with a glum expression on his face, and picks up the first full box. There is less to put away, because they cooked and consumed some of it, so the clean up takes but a few minutes.

As they bring the boxes to her car, she asks. "What time should I be here tomorrow for the hunt?"

"What do you mean?" Sam asks.

Dean's eyes bug out in realization. "You're not going."

"Oh yes I am, Mr. Winchester." She replies, putting her box in the trunk and folding her arms across her chest.

"But..." Sam begins to protest when she cuts him off.

"No buts, I want to see this case through."

"Have you even hunted before?" Sam questions, concern lacing his voice.

She smiles and nods. "Yes, of course."

Reluctantly Sam answers. "We'll be ready to leave at 7. But..." He tries to dissuade her once more.

She waves him off. "Ok, see you guys then! And don't worry I'll have the big bad Winchesters watching my back." With these last words she shuts the trunk, winks at them, and enters her car.

As she drives away the boys stand there speechless; Sam is mainly taken aback by the fact that she wants to go on the hunt, while Dean is fuming. She can't be there... what if she gets hurt? I can't let this happen.

"We can't let her come with us." Dean states.

Chuckling, Sam responds. "I don't think we have a say in that, Dean."

"Awesome." Sarcasm drips off his lips.

"Wanna tell me where this is coming from?"

"Research is one thing but being on a hunt is different."
Sam points out. "She said she's hunted before."

"Yeah, that's what she said. What if things go south and we can't protect her? What if..."

"Something happens to her." Sam finishes his thought with realization lighting up his eyes.

"First mom's back, then she needs 'space' or whatever, and now this girl comes along." Dean begins to spiral.

"So you're confused and overprotective, I get it." Sam claps Dean on the shoulder. "Let's go get some sleep, we'll need it for tomorrow."

Running his hand over his face, Dean's only response is a deep sigh. The brothers head back into the bunker, walk past the table with all the books and papers covering it, and make their way to their bedrooms.

Dean flops down on his bed, his head swirling with all the 'what ifs' that might happen during the hunt but his thoughts are swiftly sidetracked by the fading scent of her on his sheets. How has she become so important to me in such a short time. I can't lose her.