Good Food and Conversation

Bringing the food to the table the three sit down and start digging in. Mae watches the brothers as she sips on her soup, waiting for their reactions.

"Wow." Sam looks over to her. "This is amazing!"

"Aww man." Dean moans out. "Where has this soup been all my life?"

She giggles with delight. "I'm glad you both like it!"

Dean picks up the bowl and starts drinking from it, when he realizes that Mae is smirking at him he lowers the bowl. "What? It gets into my mouth faster this way."

"It definitely does." She agrees. "I would suggest dunking the bacon wrapped chicken in it."

He picks up a piece of chicken and does just that. "Mmm." His eyes roll back in his head. "Pure heaven."

Sam immediately dunks some of his chicken too. "Woah, how did that just get even better?"

Smiling broadly she answers. "Combining flavors that enhance each other will do that."

The next few minutes pass in silence as they enjoy the food. Both Sam and Dean get seconds on the soup and chicken, and are about to go for thirds, when Mae ushers them into the kitchen.

"Don't forget about desert, guys." She points over to the counter with the mini pies.

Dean drags his hand over his face. "I almost did! How did that happen?"

"It's called being distracted by really good food." Sam chuckles.

She blushes and tucks some hair behind her ear. "Sam, that's kind of you..."

"And completely true." Dean cuts her off, smiling broadly at her.

Her entire face flushes crimson as she turns to face the counter. Picking up the mini pies she turns back and hands them over to the boys. They head back out to the table and the aroma starts to waft up and hit their noses.

Dean begins to drool. "These smell awesome!"

"Mmm, they do." Sam adds, closing his eyes as the scent finally makes it up his tall frame.

Sitting down she smiles to herself. "I hope you enjoy."

The boys follow suit and sit down. Dean is the first to bite into one of the pies and his eyes roll into the back of his head as he groans in pleasure, he then shoves the rest of the pie into his mouth and picks up another. Sam eyes his brother with a bemused look and digs into his own pie, his eyes widen with surprise and he 'mmms' yet again.

"I knew they were going to be good but this..." Sam begins.

"These are the best pies I've ever had." Dean finishes.

She sits there staring at them while she chews some pie. "Thank you." She says barely above a whisper.

"I need more of these in my mouth." Dean says, staring down at the pies and both Sam and Mae bust out laughing.

They sit and eat, each chowing down on the scrumptious pies. The conversation flows easily with interjected laughter and many wild stories of past hunts. Finishing off a few more of the mini pies, Dean looks down and notices he's out of pie. Getting up from the table he pokes his head into the kitchen looking for more.

His head bows in resignation, as he turns back to the table. "We ate all the pies."

"We?" Sam questions. "I think you mean you ate all the pies."

"You ate a lot of them too." Dean counters.

"Boys!" She interjects. "I think you both had plenty, and we should get to researching the case."

"Yeah." "Okay."

"And next time I'll just have to make more pies."

Dean's eyes brighten. "Next time?"

"Well, we had such a good time, I thought I could come back and we could do this again."

"Yes!" Dean exclaims.

"Of course!" Sam agrees. "Amazing food and great company, I'm down."

"And pie, lots of pie." Dean adds.

Her face is completely red yet again. "Oh, you guys do flatter me so. And it was nice not to eat alone."

Dean's brow furrows. "What do you mean alone?"

"Don't you have anyone, family, friends?" Sam asks.

"No, it's just me. I did have a family once; I grew up with my grandparents but they passed away when I was fifteen."

Growing concerned, Dean sits back down. "You've been on your own since you were fifteen!"

"Did you go into foster care or an orphanage?" Sam asks.

"No, I went off the grid. I needed to keep to myself, the fewer people around me the better. Besides I can't stay too long in one place, I have to keep moving. If I don't..."

Sam's eyes grow soft. "What would happen, Mae?"

Averting her gaze down to the table, she traces the grain pattern of the wood with her pointer finger. "I don't really want to think of it, right now."

Seeing the look on her face Dean changes the topic. "How about that research, huh?"

She looks up at him, grateful for the distraction. Their eyes meet and this electrifying feeling buzzes through them. They maintain this gaze for a little while, entirely forgetting that Sam is even in the room.

Sam clears his throat. "Let's clean up the table, so we can get back to work."

Dean blinks a few times and mumbles a semi cogent. "Yeah, that sounds great, Sammy."

Mae sits in a daze, staring off into the distance for a few more seconds, then responds. "Umm, yes, books."