That's My Job

Dean drives away from the diner and on the way to the police station, the three of them vow that they will never eat there again. As Sam is about to get into the Impala, he hesitates and rests his elbows on the roof of the car.

"Are you sure we can't split up and cover more ground faster?"

"No Sam, she's staying with me and that's final. I need to be able to protect her." Dean quickly retorts.

"Hey, I can take care of myself thank you. I have been doing it for many years."

"That's true, I mean remember that shifter case in the alleyway, she kicked major ass."

"Just go Sam or I might just take Baby and let you walk to all those houses." He vigorously waves off his brother, then turns to Mae. "I know you can take care of yourself, Sweetheart, I just have this overpowering feeling when I'm with you that I need to take care of you."

She sighs and rubs his arm. "I understand, I have that feeling about you too."

"You do?"

"Yeah, but we can discuss this later, right now time is ticking and we have a werewolf to hunt."

"Right, so at least the police station and the morgue are in the same building but we'll have to walk a little bit to get to the bars." He brushes some hair back from her face. "I hope you don't mind having to walk."

"Nah, these are my comfy heels." Just then Dean looks down at her shoes to see what she is wearing.

"How are they comfortable?" He asks, gaping at her heels.

"They aren't, I was just being sarcastic."

They both laugh and he is about to put his arm around her waist to walk into the station, but he stops himself. "I guess I shouldn't do that, we need to be professional right now."

"Yeah, but it's nice knowing that you want to hold me." She smiles up at him, then walks towards the police station before she does anything more than that.

After about an hour and a half of talking to those working on the 'rabid wolf' cases and visiting the morgue, the pair came up with about the same information as they had to start with. Walking out the front doors, they both feel slightly defeated but Mae smirks over at Dean.

"We got nothing new from this, what are you smiling about?"

She bites her lower lip, holding back laughter. "Well, we did learn one thing."

"What would that be?" He asks, confusion clouding his features.

"It's definitely not 'pick on' Dean day but it is 'hit on' Dean day."

He stares at her mystified. "Who the secretary?"

"No." She giggles. "The mortician."

"The old lady?" He scoffs.

"Oh yeah, she had big saucer eyes for you."

He shakes his head. "Oh no, I'm not a blue hair chaser."

She laughs even harder. "I think she would chase you if you'd like instead."

"This isn't funny."

"It's a little bit funny." She looks at him trying to be innocent but she is still smirking.

"You didn't think it was so funny at the restaurant."

"No." She says, sighing. "But the server was not only hitting on you but rude to both me and Sam. This lady was very nice and even complimented my shoes."

"Maybe she had eyes for you, as well..."

She cocks her head to the side. "Could be but she wasn't staring at my butt."