Short story - Pup

Based off the song 'Rider's lullaby' from Centaurworld.
~~~~~~~~

A wolf pup entered the world in darkness.

All he knew was his mother, father and the den he grew up in.

His mother was warm and loving, his father stoic but kind.

They sung to the stars together, ate together, ran together. It was perfect.

He loved his mom and dad, and they loved him back.

But...
(There's always a 'but')

One cold and stormy night, that all changed. His father was out patrolling, check the parameter for any unwanted intruders.

Then, a sharp yelp, and his mother sprang up, teeth bared.

The pup's mother nosed her son into a hidden corner of the den, and rush out into the cold.

Every creature has a final song that plays, even the rabbits.

He heard his father's first, a gentle whisper, an apology for not fighting harder to protect them.

He heard his mother snarl menacingly, and rush whatever had taken down father.

She put up a fair fight, fueled by rage and adrenaline from loosing her mate.

But the monster still got an arrow in a bad place, and not long after killing it, the pup heard his mother's song too.

The pup yelped, running from his place in the den, to his mother. His mother whimpered as he nosed her.

Her final song told him about her love, her grief, and her fear. She feared for her pup.

And, with a shuddering breath, she was gone.

The pup stood to his paws, grief taking over, his paws trembling before his dead mother.
~~~~~~

He slept under a young Aspen tree, not wanted to go back the den.

The pup wasn't sure how old he slept for, but he was awakened by the sound of foliage rustling

He was scared, thinking it was one of the monsters that murdered his parents.

But, it wasn't, instead it was lanky human dressed in a dull blue tunic and wearing a long black piece of clothing around her shoulders.

Attached to her side was a long scabbard as well as a pickaxe on the other side of it.

The girl's steel grey eyes looked into the pup amber ones, then they flicked to the place his mother lay.

The pup whimpered at the thought of his mother, tucking his small tail between his legs.

The girl once more looked at him, before taking something out of her bag. A piece of brownish meat that smelled delicious.

The pup was hungry but his paws stayed root to the earth, not wanting to come out from his hiding spot. His stomach growled, betraying his own thoughts.

You're okay...

The pup perked up, his head snapping up at the soft tune. The girl knelt next to him.

You're alright...

I'll never, ever leave your side...

The girl's words were soft, calming. The pup's paws began to inch forward with his approval.

I will stay,

And I will fight,

With you...

Slowly, slowly, the pup wiggled out from under the tree. The girl smiled, feeding the starving pup her food.

The pup and the girl became companions, with him never leaving her side for not even a moment.

They went on many adventures, traversing the land and it entirety.

The wolf loved his girl and the girl loved her wolf. They were inseparable.

Then, almost like deja-vu, something horrible happened one stormy night.

They were walking in the woods, trying to reach the next town within the hour. The wolf stayed by his friend's side.

Then it happened, they decended from the treetops, bandits. The wolf leapt forward with a snarl when they grabbed his girl.

One of the bandits saw this, and with a mighty swing of his staff, struck the wolf hard in the ribs.

The wolf could do nothing as they harassed his girl for all her valuables.

The wolf struggled to his feet as he saw one of the bandits pull out a cruel looking blade.

The wolf... could only watch as they slit his best friend's throat. The girl crashed to the ground, her body going limp after a moment, though her eyes still stared up at the sky.

The wolf trotted next to her, forgetting the bandits that were now running off with their loot.

The wold could only do one thing to help her right now. He did the very thing she did when they met. He started singing to her.

You're okay...

You're alright...

The girl stared at him as sung in his language, somehow understanding he was trying to comfort her.

I'll stay here through the darkest night...

All the way, I will fight...

With you...

After all, this was all he could do...
~~~~~~

786 words