Vol. Four Ch. Eight: Personal Space

~Third Person~

"Miranda, I...I am so sorry..."

...

After what had occurred earlier today, RNJR, (Y/N) and Qrow now all sat in front of a campfire yet, the mood was anything but s'mores and ghost stories. Nora and Ren sat together as Ruby, Qrow as well as Jaune sat alone. However, behind Qrow was a large boulder that was inhabited by (Y/N) sitting alone on the ground whilst the others had logs. He was the most...silent at the moment as his arms were on his knees as if hugging them. It wasn't long that Qrow took a swig from his flask as it was now apparent he was bandaged from the upper chest.

"Really? No questions...?"

"Of course we have questions...This is just... a lot to take in..."

"I knew this world was fairy tale...but fuck, mate..."

"Sure, of course..."

Jaune and Qrow would lean on their legs to be closer to the fire as the former let out a sigh. (Y/N) was in a sort of shock. One that hit a few moments later when the fight was done and over with yet, he wouldn't specify...

"So these... Maidens... They're powerful fighters that don't need Dust to use magic?"

"Yeah..."

"And there are four of them?"

"Yup, always."

Qrow would answer the questions bluntly and rather nonchalantly as Ruby looked over to (Y/N). Seeing his face, she was truly worried given how quiet he had been. More so given the fact he went up against Haytham.

"Which means that, whenever one of them dies, the power transfers to someone, a female, that they cared about?"

"Whoever was in their thoughts last. Important distinction. Best option is someone we can trust. Regardless, their souls become combined, in a way..."

"And that's what you were trying to do to Pyrrha... the night the tower fell. You were trying to turn her into one of them...?"

Jaune's tone of voice was rather...agitated. A tone that made (Y/N) look up to see Ruby giving him a questioning smile. One that he would reply with via a small reassuring smile but, it was more worrying than anything given how she could see the pain in his eyes.

"The previous Fall Maiden, Amber, had been attacked. She was young, inexperienced. And her assailant, who we now know is Cinder, somehow managed to steal some of her power, but not all of it. We were afraid that if we didn't do something, the rest would go to her as well."

"So you forced it on Pyrrha...?"

"Jaune, Christ alive man-"

"No, No. Let him because we need to clarify, we didn't force anything. We explained the situation and gave her the choice, and she chose. You were there, you heard her."

Agitation soon turned into blunt anger as Jaune glared at Qrow yet, (Y/N) wasn't on board with the idea of blaming Qrow. Despite him having saved Ruby numerous times in one setting. The end result? Was Jaune turn in a swivel and getting up to get some distance away from the group for a moment. Ruby soon spoke up as she was curious.

"That guy, Tyrian, why was he after me?"

"Well, you definitely painted a target on your back with what you did at Beacon. I told you having silver eyes is a rare trait. And the fact that you were able to use them seems to have upset some very powerful people. Not many people know about the silver eyes. Those that do aren't very happy that one has surfaced. That's why I've been keeping an eye on you in order to make sure you were safe. All of you."