Vol. Five Ch. Nine: Violence Breeds Violence

~First Person~

"The thing with Militia helmets, Pilot helmets in general, is the fact the hexagons are actually external circuitry that connects to the inner OS. Helps with acquiring every little detail when on the move."

Currently, Yang and I were using the living room coffee table as a workbench as my helmet sat in the center of it. Around us and my helmet were various pieces of tools and even a glass-clad polycarbonate piece that was in shape of my visor's piece which looked like an upside down trapezoid. What? Surprised that little K-shape glass piece is actually a trapezoid? Nope. Makes no sense given how if it were that thin, it could shatter with the littlest force on it.

Yang would hum out for a moment before holding a finger up.

"So it goes over the piece and inside is like..."

"Athena's chassis. Small cameras, display an image on the inside to form a proper HUD."

"Then that makes this easier! Let's get to work."

With that, I set my helmet into its maintenance mode which involved popping the visor up, clicking a few joints and removing that piece from the rest. Allowing me to pull the upper visor lip onto the table before using a small lug wrench to undo the bolts holding the entire thing together. When I was able to, I hand it over to Yang as she carefully used her robot hand to pry the thing open. Think about it like taking a ballistics plate out from a plate carrier.

Soon, she would hold it for me as I used a set of tweezers to gently lift that hexagonal mesh off from the visor glass itself. Now with the mesh off, I'd hand Yang a Philips screwdriver as she undid the upper piece of the visor piece. While she did that, I would take a look at my helmet and begin to bang out the dent on the side with a rubber mallet. It immediately popped right on out into place as I used my own thumb to level the rest of it. Looking at it, it was finally in good condition, minus all the scratches but, those are scars. I'll keep 'em.

"And done. Here."

Holding out the visor piece to me, I would take that small top off as it brought the mesh with it in one piece. Setting it down gently onto a rag, Yang would go in and take out the visor glass with little issue as she whistled out thanks to how deep the crack actually ran along the glass itself. Cringing lightly, I would work on getting the mesh and the upper piece together once again. I handed it over to Yang once I finished putting it together before she slid it into place. As she began the reconstructing process I made sure that all the pieces we removed were being given to her.

It didn't take long for her to finish that up as we put the final touches like reattaching the visor piece to my helmet. Once that was done, I dis some final checks before flicking on my helmet after putting it on. Clicking the visor over my face, I heard the OS hum lightly as I was left in darkness.

"Come on...Come o——on..."

I was nervous for about ten seconds as the HUD wouldn't flick on despite the humming coming to a halt. Yet, it suddenly flicked on as the OS did the usual recalibration process. Giving the okay, literally since it had a system pop up to tell me "Pilot (Y/N) (L/N), reconnected." With a small cheer, I jumped onto my feet.

"Hell yeah! We are back in business!"

"Nice! So...you're dating Ruby now, huh?"

I would go stiff as I looked to Yang to see her eyes were crimson red and a glare...Pulling my helmet off, I gulped lightly before she sudden began to laugh. Catching me off guard as I gave her a blank face.

"Hah! Should've seen your face!"

"I...you couldn't even see my face until I took the thing off!"

"Exactly!"