Vol. Six Ch. Seven: Somewhere

~First Person~

"So...let me get this straight...you used to be some legendary Huntress...? You?"

"Yes. It is almost as if I didn't just say that- What do you mean by that?"

Maria had just finished telling us her story. How she was the legendary Huntress, "The Grimm Reaper" of this world. But...when she shifted her tone around, my lips pursed together as I went wide eyed. Not really knowing how to respond to her as her little bionic eyes glared at me...

"I'll shut up."

"Good boy."

"I can't believe it. You... You're the Grimm Reaper, you were a legend! And then you disappeared..."

"How exactly does a legend just disappear?"

Qrow seemed to be secretly fanboying as I snickered into my hand as Oscar was more confused than anything.

"You never used your name, never showed your face. Lots of us thought you were just layin' low. Eventually, we just came to accept that you were probably dead...But the stories about you, I based my weapon off of yours...I wanted to be as good as the Grimm Reaper."

"Well, I'm nothing but a disappointment. So you are well on your way."

All the air in my lungs was ejected as I hunched over with my hand sliding to my lips. Restraining laughter with my hand gripping tightly onto the rail as I snickered.

"F-Fuck...!"

And whack. Groaning, I rubbed my head as Maria kept her eyes squinted at the road beneath us.

"How can you say that?"

"Child, a Huntress is supposed to protect others to the bitter end. But after I lost my eyes, I only ever looked after myself...Even after my surgery, I was too afraid to fight. Afraid someone would find me again, finish what the others started...You shouldn't aspire to be like me, especially when some of you are clearly stronger already."

Hearing Maria talk like this...? It was...pretty hard to really listen to her go off on herself. I don't blame her. She dropped everything when the going got rough, unlike us. Hell, it was almost like out losses were what pushed most of the time. Because they were...

"It's... comforting, seeing that your generation seems up to the task of inheriting this world...I'm just sorry I didn't do more to leave it in better shape."

"Well..maybe you can do something now...! Teach me to use my powers the way you did."

"Yeah. You may be old and defenseless, but you know what they say! Age has beauty. Wisdom."

Maria turned to us and remained silent before the sound of a scroll going off was heard- Wait what? Looking over to Ruby as she fished out her scroll? She let out a gasp before forming a big doofy smile.

"It's Jaune!"

"What!?"

I let out a small yelp as I gripped the rail a tad harder thanks to Yang coming to a screeching halt, even gliding a bit. Now at a full stop?

"How!?"

Ruby soon answered with me nudging her to put it on speaker. And she did. Atta girl.

"H-Hello!?"

"RUBY!! OH HO! Thank you! I have been checking my scroll for your signal since we made it to the city!"

"City...? Wait..."

City indeed...Soon Ruby did ye ole "point phone in the general direction" to see the connection. And sure enough, was Argus right over yonder as I sprung up to my feet.