Chapter 40: Settle

I'm pacing in front of my window, my room dark and my clothes still heavy and wet from the recent downpour. On my desk is the terrarium that I had put my new pet in, the patches on his skin having a faint glow to them in the darkness.

"I failed." I whisper. "I completely failed, I let everyone down! I could've been better, I should've been better but I got distracted. What the hell should I do now Subject?" I pause and turn to look at my little pet, his wide eyes staring straight up at me. I just grimace and move over to the terrarium, opening a near by container. 

"I shouldn't have gone on that mission I know, but that sword... I mean it's not like the boys could have grabbed it, they would have been putting themselves at risk. No it had to have been me cause of my weird ancestry and because I wouldn't have gotten sick or whatever." I sigh and remove the lid, pouring flakes of the food into in the container. They fall delicately into the water and Subject dives off his little platform in excitement. 

I just kneel in front of the container, lazily watching him eat his food. 

"I'll remove myself from future missions." I decide. "That way I can't screw it up for the boys and..." 

My voice falters, going quiet as I recall what had happened. 

"I should figure out a way to get her out." I murmur. "She can't have joined the foot out of her own free will, no I have to help her." 

I inhale. 

"And... I should research more about the sickness the sword gives you. Since she touched it who knows how long she has until..." 

There's a tap on my window and instantly I jump up, startled. 

I quickly pull the nearby blanket over the terrarium shielding Subject from view as I then go over to the window and slide it open. However, I don't make room for the individual to come in. 

"Raph?" 

"Sup," he greets. 

I regard him with a slight frown, not making a move to let him in, "what's up? Is everything ok? Has something happened?" Immediately I go to check my phone to see if I had actually missed out on a obscene number of calls or texts. 

No, nothing. 

"You tell me Damsel." 

I look at him, eyes growing wide as I instantly go through everything that has happened.

Dear god have I done something wrong? It sounds like I've done something wrong. 

I mean the most obvious thing is that I let Nina go and didn't get the sword like I was supposed to, but we already dealt with that. 

Or at least I think we have? Maybe Raph is here to chew me out further or- 

I get slapped up the head.

"OW!" I exclaim rubbing my forehead as I frown at him. "What was that for?!" 

"To stop you from freaking out! Now answer my question." 

"What question?" 

"What's up with you?" 

I just frown and blink at him, confused, "uh nothing? I'm ok, has something happened I-"

"So you're telling me," he interrupts, "that you're fine? After you just fought your best friend?" 

I blink a little, "uh... yes?" 

He stares at me, confused. He then shakes his head as he pushes me aside and clambers into my room. He turns to look at me, "Damsel, you just fought your best friend, and you're just fine?!"