Chapter 39: Ocean's Five

It's the night before the opening and the clouds are rolling over New York City, thunder sounding off in the distance. I stand in a circle with the turtles, staring down the skylight of the museum with my heart beating fast and my hand gripping the strap of my bag. 

I feel nervous, I feel like I'm going to get in the way of things or ruin it somehow. 

But they need me to get the sword. 

Leo speaks up.

"Right team, you know the plan. We're just going in and out; no time-wasting, no glass smashing," He gives Raph a look who briefly looks away and starts whistling. "And, no. Mission. Impossible. theme." Leo squints his eyes at Mikey, the look immediately silencing the younger brother. But then he starts humming a different tune. 

"Or Ocean's Eight." 

Silence and then a different tune again. 

"Or the Italian Job."

A different tune. 

"Or James Bond. Or any other spy/heist movie!" 

The younger terrapin lets out a groan, "but Leoooo!" He whines, "everyone knows that you need cool heist music when you're doing a heist!" 

"Mikey, we're ninjas, part of being a ninja is no. Heist. Music. Now let's go team, in and out." Leo throws the rope down the skylight and lowers himself down, Donnie going after him and then Raph. Mikey just stands there still pouting a little, clearly upset about the lack of cool music accompanying us on the mission. I just place a hand on his shoulder. 

"I think Leo's right, we shouldn't be playing other people's heist music," I tell him, his shoulders slumping even more. "We should make our own heist music." 

His eyes widen at that as he turns and looks up at me, "dudeeee, you're so right!" 

"But we should still do it quietly," I add, not wanting to be the reason for the mission going wrong if Mikey starts humming too loud. "Don't want people stealing it and then using it for their own heist." 

"Dude you're a genius, I'm going to make the raddest heist music ever!" And with that he hops down the skylight, distant humming accompanying him as he tries to figure out the perfect tune for the mission.

I give myself a moment, taking in a deep breath to calm down. 

It's like Leo said. 

In and out. 

Easy. 

 I soon follow, lowering myself down into the darkened room, only beams of moonlight providing a visual aide. I quickly scan the area, noticing the smallness and how it's free of artefacts.

Good, this is the antechamber before the armoury and weaponry part of the exhibit. 

I open my bag, grabbing a hold of a small cardboard box and duct tape. I look up, eyes going over to Donnie and he offers me a smile. I smile back and toss him the goods before fishing out another pair. Together we approach the archway, looking it over for the motion sensors. Donnie quickly points them out to me, he goes to one while I go to the one opposite and together we quickly place the boxes over the sensors and tape them onto the arch; preventing the alarms from going off as the boys creep into the next room, myself following closely behind. 

We carefully move deep into the room, ducking behind plinths holding artefacts, and keeping close to the walls as we try to maintain cover. However, we don't get far until we're brought to a halt.

Several feet away, illuminated by moonlight is Karai, the masked lackey by her side and a pair of mutants. One is a large magenta fish with robot legs and the other, a large dog with a massive, muscular arm and one puny arm.