Chapter 25: Purple Heart

"I kinda wanna shoot my shot with him you know? Put myself out there."

"Does he know you exist?" 

"Well he will now!"

"Kayla do you have any thoughts on this?" 

I look up from my laptop seeing Nina standing by the window of Alexis' room, her hands are on her hips making her look rather motherly. I turn to Alexis seeing her rummage through the mess that's her wardrobe. 

"While I think that joining a band just because it might make some guy notice you is a bad reason for joining said band, I do believe that there's no harm. Although I think it'll be easier to just go up to him and talk to him." 

"Um no he has to come up to me and talk." Alexis says. She stops rummaging in her closet and huffs, she then stands up and walks close to where I am, sitting on the floor resting against the base of her bed. I raise my eyebrow as she pretty much puts her butt in my face as she reaches over to her bedside table to continue her rummaging.  "And I'm not joining a band just because of boys. My mum wants me to learn an instrument because she thinks that will tame me or something." 

"But if you don't know how to play an instrument then why are you joining a band?" Nina asks. I just look back at my laptop reading an online research paper on the anatomy of turtles. 

"Well she didn't say what instrument so I decided to buy myself a bass, and well this group needed a bass player and they don't care about skill level so I joined." There's a pause as she looks over her shoulder at me. 

"What?" 

"Aren't you going to slap my butt?" 

"Why would I do that?"

"Because it's a cute butt! Appreciate it!" 

I roll my eyes and slap her butt. 

"It is a cute butt." I add before returning back to my laptop typing up some notes. I should remember to ask Master Splinter what type they are. 

"Thank you!" 

She grabs something and then stands back up, returning to what she was working on previously; painting some owl onto the back of my denim jacket. 

"Why were they even looking for someone who doesn't know how to play bass to be their bassist?" Queries Nina, still very much fixated on that conversation.

"I don't know, I don't care."

"Do you even plan on learning the bass?" 

I'm still not focusing that much on the conversation, too wrapped up in my small task. After Donnie woke up, Splinter told me that I should go home and rest, he can keep an eye on him for the rest of the evening. Still, I'm paranoid so I'm going to visit again today for a checkup since there's no way the stuff I did was that effective to wake him up. Also, there's still the matter of that mist. 

"I'll pick it up on the way. Hey Kay, what colours?"

"You're the artist." I say, not glancing up.

"I'm glad you've realized."

There's a brief pause, Alexis concentrates on her artistry and I on my study. Nina walks over to sit beside me and I feel her eyes looking at my bandaged arm. 

"How much longer until it comes off?"

I pause to calculate the number of days it's been. 

"Not long. A few more days maybe. We'll have to see at the next checkup."

"Isn't your mum supposed to be back in a few days?"

Again I pause, my eyes casting down to my keyboard.