Chapter 22: Not Out of the Woods Yet

Hello. You won't be alone now. I will keep you safe. 

A voice comes to me in the darkness, soft, silky, familiar. 

Open your mind to new knowledge, not everything follows logic. 

An image flickers into focus, a hallway in a hospital, a bald man stands there. 

"I can't leave my family for you, I can't leave Kayla on her own." 

"It'd be better for everyone if you do. Just come with me." This voice sounds distorted to me, unable to properly recall what it sounded like. 

Not everything is as it seems.

My eyes snap open, quiet anger forming in my head thanks to the memory of that conversation. I push it out of my mind quickly, not wanting to dwell on it for a second longer as I decide to focus on my surroundings; bad lighting, not the greatest smell, the sound of cartoons from a TV set. I'm in the turtles' lair. 

I sit up where I am, on the couch behind where Mikey is sitting on the beanbag watching his show. I silently look around the area, spotting Raphael giving his dummy a beating, his grunts accompanying each hit. Leo doesn't seem to be anywhere, but I spot Casey walking into this area, dressed in a deep red kimono, his hair dripping wet. 

I watch him a little before opening my mouth.

"What happened to your clothes?" I ask, he just stops in his tracks and glares at me, pointing at me. Out of the corner of my eye, I notice Mikey turning away from his TV.

"You. Absolutely suck." He says to me. I just frown in confusion as he walks to me.

"What did I do?" 

"You threw up on my clothes!" 

"Oh." 

"Yeah!" 

I felt my cheeks heat up out of embarrassment, a faint memory of the event coming into my head, "um, sorry." 

"You should be!" 

"Why... Are you wearing a kimono though?" 

"Because you threw up on me!" 

"But... Why not go home and change into your own clothes? I mean you were already out." 

"Because Kayla!" He exclaims loudly, I just widen my eyes in surprise as he suddenly puts his face really close to mine. I lean back slightly. "That would be smart!" 

He pulls away from me and sits on the couch in a dramatic fashion, arms crossed, a look of displeasure on his face. Slowly, I turn away from him as I look at Mikey who was giggling at how big the kimono was on Casey. Casey just chucks a nearby pillow at Mikey's head, unfortunately for Casey, Mikey catches it. 

"Dude I still can't believe I missed out on you barfing on him! He came in looking soooo mad." Mikey says to me. "What happened dude? You gotta tell me, I miss out on all the cool stuff!" He's now looking up to me, his chin in his hands, his eyes almost look as if they were sparkling with hope of some epic story. 

I just stare at him as recollections of those events whisper to me, I shut my eyes briefly recalling that ghostly green light, the incredible pain I felt, the ominous chanting. I open my eyes again instantly shoving those memories away, a coldness forming in my chest. 

"Nothing really," I say quietly. "There was just a lot of running, I exerted myself, that's why I threw up on Casey." 

"Aw, what? There has to be more than that! You didn't fight any robo dogs? Brain sucking aliens? Ghosts?"