CHAPTER 48

"I can't believe I'm getting one more grandchild" My mother squealed happily. Mustafa chuckled from beside her, neither noticing my despair and horror.

"Our enemies try to destroy us but we keep growing in our numbers," Mustafa said proudly. I turned to look at Yahya Taslicali who seemed uncomfortable and was fidgeting in his seat.

"Can we stop talking about this pregnancy" I all but begged, slamming my water cup down. It was supposed to be a calm breakfast but we can't have that with this family.

"Why are you so mad? You're getting one more child to love and raise" mother said oblivious to my sadness. How could they think I would be happy having a child with basically a stranger just after I was widowed. I knew me seeking comfort in him was a mistake but that was one moment of weakness and it got me into a situation like this.

"Enough already" I hissed glaring at her. Mustafa seemed awkward now as he looked between me and Yahya just noticing the tension between the two of us.

"Mommy, will you love the new baby more than us because his father is alive?" Ibrahim asked innocently. He thought I would love him and his siblings less because their father was no longer around.

"Look what you've done" I glared at my mother. She clammed her mouth shut and looked regretful at me.

"No darling, I will love you all the same" I patted his shoulder. Ibrahim sighed in relief and returned to eating his food. A knock on the door interrupted the conversation.

"Come in" Mustafa called. He took a spoonful of food in his mouth as the doors opened and Atmaca walked in and bowed to us.

"What is it agha?" Mustafa asked. I turned to look at my eldest son, Mustafa, who had stopped eating at the mention of my pregnancy and was just glaring down at the food.

"Her royal highness, Sultana Mihrimah has arrived with her children to the palace for the engagement of Sultanzade Mustafa and Hümaşah Hanim Sultan" Atmaca informed. My son's face lit up at the mention of the girl he likes. My brother's face brightened a little and turned to look at my son.

"Go on then, don't you want to greet her?" My son jumped up and left the room so abruptly he forgot to bow making me giggle a little.

"It's good to see you again, Mihrimah," I said to my older sister. She smiled and pulled me in for a hug. We sat side by side on a couch with my mother on my other side as the party progressed.

"You too, sister, I am glad father found our children as a perfect match, the pair have liked each other since childhood," Mihrimah said. I chuckled and turned to Hümaşah who was sitting on a throne to her mother's right swaying lightly to the music. She didn't seem to have heard her mother's comment but her cheeks were red from the attention nonetheless.

"I agree" I nodded and turned to the dancing maids in front of us. The party was nothing less than magnificent, fit for a son of a sultana.

"I heard of your pregnancy, congratulations, " Mihrimah said. I nodded gloomily but didn't avert my eyes from the dancers until the music stopped and doors opened.

"DESTOR SEHZADE MUSTAFA, HIS HIGHNESS" a harem agha announced. My brother walked followed by my son, Mustafa.

"Brother" Mihrimah immediately pulled our brother in for a hug. Although it was obvious she still separated him in her heart from our other brothers.

"Welcome to Manisa, sister" Mustafa patted her shoulder. Mustafa turned to her daughter and pulled her in for a hug.

"My beautiful niece, no amount of jewelry could come close to your beauty so accept this rare piece from your uncle" Mustafa turned to my son who was holding two boxes, and handed one to his uncle. Mustafa opened the box and showed a ring with a black stone in the middle. Mustafa pulled it out and placed it on Hümaşah's finger.

"Give your fiancé your gift" my brother moved to the side and nudged my son closer to Hümaşah making the pair blush and even in the dimly lit room we could all see it

"Please accept this as a way to show my love, Hüma," Mustafa said opening the remaining box in his hands making everyone in the room gasp except me at the expensive gift. I smiled at my son, he was such a hopeless romantic and already have her a nickname.

"This is too much" Hümaşah gasped

"This is too much" Hümaşah gasped. She reached over and touched the crown with trembling fingers.

"Nothing is too much for a member of the Ottoman Dynasty," I said smiling at my future daughter-in-law. Mustafa chuckled and handed the box with the crown to Hümaşah's loyal servant.

"We will leave you to party then" my brother wrapped his arm around my son's shoulders and pulled him out of the room.

"Your son is such a sweetheart" my sister mumbled leaning down towards me. The music picked up again and the maids started dancing again much to my delight.

"Unlike your husband, May he burn in hell" I whispered back. Mihrimah fidgeted a little, she couldn't defend him because we both know in the end she killed him when he failed to protect her brothers.

"Let's not ruin the joyful mood, Nafize" Mihrimah muttered uncomfortably

"Let's not ruin the joyful mood, Nafize" Mihrimah muttered uncomfortably. I nodded my head calling a truce and turned to look at my daughters giggling as they ran around the maids and tables. Ismihan was in the arms of one of the maids playing with her and giggling like the adorable two years old she was.

I pray to Allah that they never get to see a black day as I did in my life. I pray they marry who they love unlike me who was forced into two arranged marriages. I pray they live a respectable life and never get beaten as I did under the hands of Beyazid. I pray they never feel worthless like my brother Mustafa made me feel. I pray for them and their future.