CHAPTER 18

BreakThrough

Canon:Filler

Two weeks later...

Phenex Mansion

Riser Phenex opened his eyes for the first time.

The Phenex groaned as the light that crept past the blinds and hit his face, disturbing his sleep. Even though the Underworld didn't have a sun, the light that was hitting his face was still annoying enough to wake him up. While he wanted to turn his body around to ignore the light, he was too lazy to do so. The position that he was in right now was very comfortable for the Phenex royalty and he didn't want to move at all.

"Mar....Marvin...close the blinds..." Riser said with a yawn as he closed his eyes, expecting his order to be carried out. However, his eyes twitched with annoyance when his curtains weren't pulled together. "Marvin, close the blinds." Again, he waited for his butler to close the blinds, but nothing happened. Riser growled out in anger as he pushed the covers off of him and sat up in a fit of anger, "Marvin! I said close the blinds!"

His anger, however, was switched when with confusion when he saw that Marvin, his butler that usually woke him up around this time, wasn't there. Riser scratched his head in confusion, wondering what was going on, "Tch...incompetent servants....he probably came in late today..." Riser muttered to himself.

He stepped out of bed, revealing his was wearing an all black pajama set with the Phenex Clan symbol on his back. He walked over to the curtains and pulled them together, blocking the small amount of light that frustrated him so. Before he could enter his bed again, the sound of someone knocking on his door caught his attention.

'There's Marvin.' he said mentally as he walked over to the door to open it, 'Let's hear his pitiful excuse as to why he was late waking me up this morning.' he thought as he opened the door, "So you decided to come here late? Even....Ravel?" Riser halted in the middle of his anger filled speech to see that he was not talking to his butler, but to his little sister, Ravel, who had a troubled look on her face. "What are you doing here so early?"

"Big brother...something is wrong..." she muttered.

"Yeah? Like what?" he asked.

"Most of the servants...they aren't here. They're all gone." she said, "I don't know where anybody is."

"They're all gone?" Riser said with a scowl, "What the hell does that mean? They have a job to do and they can't conduct it if they're not here! We pay them money to serve us Phenex's!" he yelled.

"I-I know...I think...I think it has something to do with that growing protest with the low-class devils...it was started by me..." she said with sadness, looking down at the floor in shame.

Riser frowned. Even though he wouldn't say it out loud, he didn't like it when his sister was like this. Ever since their Rating Game against the [King]-less Peerage, the two haven't been the same. In Riser's case, he would hardly come out of his room, always thinking about the embarrassing lost he took. Hao's face along with that behemoth of a spirit haunted Riser's dreams every night and he couldn't shake the feeling of uselessness that he felt during that time.

As for Ravel, she was horrified from the experience, almost to the point that she was traumatized of anything that could hurt her-including her own fire. Just the feeling of the hot temperatures of her flame brought back the feeling of the Spirit of Fire's hot breath burning her skin as his jaws were opened wide to consume her inside of its belly. The memory would be forever imprinted within her mind and she would sometimes sleep with her brother just so that she could sleep at night with a little peace.