The Day

(AOT season 4 spoilers)

Connie Springer heads out of his room, carrying an empty basket and flowers. He has somewhere to be. Somewhere important.

He walks into Jeans room, and the other's face turns sad. "The Day came quickly, huh?" he says, placing a loaf of bread in the basket.

Connie just nods. Someway or another, this occasion has become known as The Day by the Scouts.

Mikasa sees him and silently gives him an apple. Hange does the same, smiling kindly.

Levi is in the sitting room, having tea. "Be safe, ok?" the captain calls with a melancholy expression. He puts some meat wrapped in foil in the basket.

He runs into Armin in the mess hall. "Oh, Connie, I had something special for The Day this time." Armin says when he sees him. He reveals a baked potato, wrapped up carefully. Connie smiles slightly and moves on.

Once everyone has made their contribution, he heads outside and makes the long walk to the graveyard in complete silence. When he gets there, he makes his way to the big apple tree he knows well. He's spent countless hours here.

He finds the stone he was looking for.

Sasha Braus
Beloved daughter, sister, and friend.
Rest in Peace.

Connie sits with his back against the trunk of the tree where the two of them used to climb and eat apples in the summer sun, and build snowmen to look like their comrades and laugh until their stomachs hurt.

He looks at the sky and the dark clouds they would find shapes in, and run in the rain from.

He puts down the basket and flowers on the grave carefully, as if not to disturb her.

"Happy birthday, Sasha." he whispers.

And then the tears come.

(If I suffer you all suffer. *evil laughter*)
- Madzzzzie_the_frog ✌︎('ω'✌︎ )