LUKANETTE - LIES - PT 6

MARINETTE'S POV

It had been such an eventful day. Luka getting akumatised and finding out his dad is Jagged Stone? Even I was still finding it difficult to believe.

As we got to the bakery, who should we see waiting outside but none other than Jagged himself!

'I wonder what he's doing here?' I whispered. 'Don't worry, I'm here for you!'

I could feel Luka tense up and I squeezed his hand to let him know I wasn't going anywhere. I could feel him relax a bit. I was glad my presence was helping.

'Marinette!' Jagged greeted me. 'So good to see you again!' Then he looked at Luka. 'And who's your boyfriend? I tell you; you have good taste in choosing this amazing girl!'

'Funny you should ask that Jagged' I began. 'His name is Luka Couffaine.'

Jagged gasped when he heard Luka's name.

'Please sir, I need to know, are you really my father? Luka asked him.

Jagged sighed. 'Yes, it's true. I am your father.'

'Then, if you knew all along...why did you abandon me and my sister? Were we not good enough for you?' he asked sadly.

Jagged sighed. 'I was too lame to take care of a kid, let alone two. I'm sorry son but I spent my whole life on tour. I live in hotels with a crocodile. I could never be the father you'd need me to be. Besides, it made for a super cool song! Have you ever heard 'My Guitar Is My Only Family?'

I could see Luka had tears in his eyes hearing what Jagged was saying.

'It WAS my favourite song' Luka replied. 'But not anymore. Maybe your next song should be called "Heartbreak" he replied angrily as he let go of my hand and opened the door to the bakery and stormed inside.

Jagged looked at me sadly.

I sighed. 'Jagged, you're a good guy and a talented artist. But maybe it's time for you to step up and start being the father Luka and Juleka need you to be.'

I opened the door to the bakery, Jagged following behind me. Mom looked at me with a worried face.

'Luka just stormed off into the living room. He looked upset. Is everything okay between you two?' she asked me softly.

'Yes mom, everything is fine between us' I answered softly. 'Luka just found out that Jagged Stone is his father and he's not taking it too well.'

'Why's that?' Tom asked.

Jagged spoke up. 'It's because I chose career over raising a family. I was young and didn't know the first thing about raising kids. I understand the error of my ways though, I know I should never have taken off and left them and Nanarky all alone.'

He looked really sorry.

While Jagged was talking, I peered into my purse and met eyes with Tikki and subtly motioned to her to check on Luka and check for Akumas. She was well rehearsed at this and kept to the shadows and stayed well-hidden so she wouldn't be noticed.

Mom spoke up. 'Oh, go talk to him Tom, he needs some good advice from you. Remember you didn't see your own father for a long time. You might be able to help him.'

Dad went into the living room and sat next to Luka, who was hugging one of the couch cushions. I leaned against the doorway as I watched them talk.

'I understand you've had a surprising revelation today' Dad said.

'Yes sir' Luka said sadly.

'Look, if it's any consolation, I didn't have a great relationship with my own father until lately either. I didn't see him for 20 years.'

'Really, 20 years?' Luka replied.

'Yes. He was more a stuck in his old ways kind of guy, really traditional, not really in keeping with the newer modern trends. It was all because he didn't believe in the modern techniques of breadmaking. Because of that he ostracized us. But I missed him so much. In fact, for my 40th birthday Marinette surprised me with a visit from him. It made me the happiest man alive. Now we have a great relationship again, all because my daughter didn't give up on him' he said as he smiled, looking up at me.

Luka smiled and looked up at me too. I smiled lovingly back at him. I was also trying to keep a watchful eye out for Akumas, but it looked like the situation was well in hand. Also, I doubted Shadowmoth would akumatise the same person in one day. Especially one who managed to break free from his power. I was still so proud of him for that.

Dad continued. 'Now I'm not saying that there's any such thing as a perfect parent. And there's nothing you can do to change the past. But you do have the power to change the future and give someone a second chance to make it right. And grow your future together.'

It reminded me of Luka's power when he's Viperion. I think he realised the connection too.

Luka smiled. 'Thanks Mr Dupain' he said.

'You're welcome, Luka' he replied, and he opened his arms for a hug which he gratefully accepted. I walked over as Luka got up and he hugged me too.

'I think I owe my dad an apology' Luka said. 'And be willing to give him a second chance.

I was even prouder of him at that moment.

Tikki secretly went back into my purse and winked at me as we walked back out to the bakery where Jagged was talking with my mom.

'Luka, I'm sorry...' Jagged began.

'No, I'm sorry. I understand now that there's not much we can do about the past, but it's never too late to grow a relationship in the future together.' Luka replied.

'If there's one thing I can do son, it's taking emotions and turning them into great songs.'

'Me too' he replied with a smile.

'In that case, shall we write one together son?' Jagged asked.

'I'd like that, Dad' Luka replied and they hugged each other.

'Aww!' Mom and Dad said together.

'Anyway, it's late, I'd better head home before Mom wonders where I've got to!' Luka said.

'I can give you a lift son, my car is around the corner!' Jagged replied.

'Okay, thanks Dad!' Luka replied.

Luka walked up to me and kissed me goodnight. 'Thanks for everything today my angel' he whispered.

'You're welcome my prince' I whispered in reply.

He gave me another Eskimo kiss and kissed my nose again. We both sighed happily.

I waved goodbye as Luka opened the door to the bakery.

'Oh, Marinette!' Jagged said. 'I almost forgot! The reason I came by was to ask you to come up with a design for my new album, CrocoRock!'

'No problem! Leave it with me!' I answered as he and Luka went out the door to his car. But when I thought about it and all my other responsibilities, I thought to myself I really need to learn how to say no.

Suddenly the weight of the day made me feel extremely exhausted. I yawned.

'Someone's tired!' Dad said jokingly as I grinned.

'You got that right!' I answered. 'Goodnight, Mom, goodnight, Dad' I said as I kissed them on the cheek.

'Goodnight sweetheart' they both replied. 'Sweet dreams!' Mom added as I waved sleepily as I headed upstairs.

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*