Part 75

We made our way back to the truck in a van Evelyn had found for us, Peter stayed there while Four and I made our way back to Dauntless. Christina had left us a note letting us know where to find them. They were waiting in Zeke's family apartment in the Pire. I wanted to check to see if Wayne was here but I knew Four needed the support for this so we stood in their home as Four told them what happened.

"He isn't going to wake up is he? That's what you came to tell us, right?" Hana's, their mother's voice was strained.

"Yes, I came to collect you so that you can make the best decision on his behalf."

"A decision?" Zeke shouted. "You mean to unplug him?"

"Zeke," Hana shook her head at her son. He sank into the couch. "Of course we don't want to keep him alive that way, he would want to move. We would like to see him first though." Four nodded.

"Of course. However before we go you should know that the attack was orchestrated by some of the people from the place we were staying. I played a role in that." There was only silence as Four waited for them to say something. 

"I didn't do what you asked, I didn't watch him as well as I should have. I'm so sorry." Four risked a look at Zeke but was met with nothing.

"I think we need some time with this." Hana finally answered.

"I wish that was an option but we have to leave soon and this is your only chance to come with us."

"Alright," Hana stood up and I realized for the first time that she was probably about my height. Much smaller than her boys. "If you could wait outside we'll join you in five minutes."

The ride back was dark and silent. We hit the edge of the city and finally Christina broke the silence as she spoke only loudly enough for Four and I to hear.

"So you did it?" Four nodded. Her face lit up.

"Did you take care of your family?" Four asked. It was her turn to nod.

"Found them with the rest of the Allegiant. But the reset time has passed. Tris and Caleb must have been successful." She settled back into her seat as Hana and Zeke quietly began to murmur about the world we were bringing them into. Amar gave a very basic explanation as we went, almost driving us into the occasional street light or road barriers. Finally we reached the front gates of the compound. They were unmanned and we were able to stop by the front doors. Zeke grasped his mothers hand as we got out of the van. We entered the compound and it was obvious that Caleb had been successful in his mission, there was no one in sight.

"Where is everyone?" Amar asked. We made our way through the abandoned checkpoint without stopping. On the other side was Cara who was now sporting a bad bruise on the side of her face and a bandage around her head. She had a troubled look on her face as we got closer.

"What's wrong?" Four asked. Cara shook her head. "Where's Tris?"

"Tobias I'm so sorry."

"Sorry about what? What is going on?" Christina shrieked.

"Tris went in Caleb's place, she beat the death serum, she sent off the memory serum but.. She was shot, she didn't survive." The world paused.

"No, No way there has to be a mistake." Christina muttered in disbelief. Cara's eyes filled with tears and then Four fell apart. It was like watching a train wreck, he was frozen. Christina yelled something and Cara wrapped her arms around her as she fell to the floor unable to support her grief. I let my grief wash over me as well, Peter was standing behind me as I swayed on my feet. He wasn't my Peter anymore but I allowed myself to fall into his chest as I cried. He sank to the floor with me in his arms and rocked me as if some old instinct had taken over his senses. I don't remember how long Christina and I cried but at some point Cara led Four, Christina, and I to see Tris's body. We followed Cara to the morgue where Tris was laid out on a table. She looked like she was sleeping but her body was stiff and cold. Christina started to sob again and Four fell to the floor in tears. Without meaning to Four had dragged me down with him and soon he was sobbing into my chest clinging on to me like I was his final life line. This wasn't supposed to be the end, Tris was supposed to be here to greet us. We were finally going to be friends the way we should have been if everything hadn't happened. I don't know how long we sat on that floor as the world stopped spinning.