A E 11

"Hi, Kimberley..."

Nabalot ng takot at panlalamig ang katauhan ni Kimberley nang marinig ang magiliw man, ngunit malamig na boses ni Rehan. Hanggang ngayon ay hindi pa rin siya makapaniwala sa rebelasyong naganap.

Habang nakikita ang pamumutla at kaguluhan sa mukha ni Kimberley, hindi mapigilang mapangisi ni Rehan. No'ng huli nilang laban, sobrang lakas ng loob nito para harapin siyang mag-isa ngunit ngayon, para na niyang personal na nakaharap si Kamatayan.

"Rehan... anong nangyari?" Bakas na bakas ang kagulumihanan sa mukha ni Kimberley nang bigkasin niya ang mga salitang 'yun. Bahagya namang tumawa nang nakakakilabot ang lalaki dahil sa tanong niya. "Bakit ikaw pa?"

"At bakit hindi ako, Kimberley?" Tumaas ang kilay niya dahil sa tanong ng babae. Ngunit hindi rin 'yun nagtagal at lumipat kaagad ang mata niya sa babaeng nasa likuran nito. "Oh, Laelyn. Nakawala ka na mula sa pagkakatali."

"Don't you even try to mention my name, traitor." May diin ang pagkakasabi no'n ni Laelyn at halatang-halata ang galit at inis niya sa lalaking ito. "Of all people, why does it have to be you? Bakit kailangan mo pang tumulad sa kanila? Gan'on na ba kayo kagutom sa kapangyarihan?"

"Gusto mong malaman kung bakit?"

Napaatras ang dalawa nang humakbang si Rehan nang isang beses kaya muling natawa ang lalaki. Kaagad niya rin namang ibinalik ang pagiging seryoso sa mukha.

Hindi katulad ng dating nakakasalamuha ni Kimberley, ang mga mata ngayon ni Rehan ay may bahid na ng pulang kulay. Para na siyang bampira, ngunit hindi. Halos natatabunan na ng itim na cloak ang kaniyang katawan. Ang mga itim na usok na lumalabas sa kaniyang katawan ay nakakakilabot tingnan.

"Dahil napakalupit ng mga tao. Tama nga sila, dapat nang mawala lahat ng tao sa mundo."

Rehan was once one of those people who works for them to fund their selves, and sustain their needs. As someone who got a job under a not-so-big company, he only earns enough for him and his family.

But his workmates made his job more difficult than what he expects. They never missed bullying him, yet he can't fight back because their positions were not a joke. Compared to him, they are higher.

They are more powerful.

He hates how the world works. If you are not powerful enough, you'll always be bullied, and you can't do anything. He hated the world for the inequality.

He hated the fact that power made the world revolve.

"Ma, sandali, tatawag ako ng tulong."

His mother got sick. Panicking, Rehan tried to call for help. They are currently in the hospital yet no one noticed him. Everyone's attention is on their Mayor, who got shot in the shoulder.

Everyone is busy giving him treatment, no matter how hard he tried calling for help, they wouldn't just listen. Tears are now streaming on his face as he walk back on her weak mother.

Shaking, he holds her hand tight. His mother's breathing is unstable but she was able to say the words he knows he cannot promise and fulfill.

"Kahit anong mangyari, 'wag na 'wag kang magpapabulag sa kahit anong bagay, Rehan. Sa pera, sa pag-ibig, at lalong-lalo na sa kapangyarihan."

His mother died. That was the most devastating thing that happened to him for his entire life. The reason of his life died in front of him, and he can't even do anything.

He was still grieving when the owner of the lot where their house is standing came to let him know that they are going to sell the land. He tried hard to convince the owner to give him more time but he ended up moving out of his own house.

He got kicked but he got no choice but to agree because he knows how big the person is.

His savings are now gone because he had to give his mother a decent burial. He experienced living on a street once.

Because like other people, he's powerless.

The next days were the heaviest day on his life. Imagine waking up with grieve in your heart, but you have no choice but to come to work for you to remain living. But he cannot do his job right.

The loss of his mother really shut him down.

And because of that, he got fired. He lost his job too. He lost everything in him now. His life, his family, his job, and his self.

And the reason why he lost them all? Is because he's powerless. He started loathing humanity.

Until someone came in his darkest times. Someone who changed him fully.

"Hi? We are currently looking for a person in our company, I just think you are willing?"

While cleaning a car, Rehan looked up on who's talking. It was a woman, wearing a black dress ending up on her knees. She got two guards at her side; one who holds the umbrella and one who holds her bag.

He scanned her, and nod his head.

"Anong maitutulong ko sa inyo?"

"We are from Nyasaaa Corporation." She stretched her arm and offer a handshake. Rehan looked at it and get confused because her hand looks soft while his are not. "Dra. Layla Perez. One of Nyasaaa's stockholder."

He refused to take her hand. If he's not mistaken, this person is in her early-forties. She's even wearing a glasses.

"Rehan. Anong trabaho ho ba ang kailangan niyo?" He really needs a job. The vehicle repairing and cleaning weren't enough to sustain his needs.

"Your job will be easy. Wala kang ibang gagawin kung hindi ang sumunod sa mga sasabihin namin." The woman smiled which brings uncomfort in him.

"P-Pero, Ma'am... ayoko po sa illegal na trabaho." He feels like something is off.

Because of what he said, the woman can't help but to show amusement by letting out a chuckle. Rehan's forehead knotted because of confusion but he refused to utter a single word.

"What illegal are you talking about? I can show you our license and permits, if that will make you comfortable." Her smile didn't leave her as she watch his reaction. "70 thousand per month. Hindi na lugi."

Rehan's eyes widen with what he heard. He even ask the woman again if he heard it right. 70 thousand per month? Are they kidding him?

He'll be a millionaire, then. He can have the power he always wanted. No one will look down on him, like what they used to do.

"Is it a deal? Or no deal?"

Her smirk seems to be a bright light which made him dazzled. He imagined himself having the power and authority, and then a smile plastered on his lips.

"It's a deal."