CHAPTER THIRTY- NINE

HERE IS THE BACKSTORY to the DuPont family. Collin, Christian's father, inherited his fortune from his grandfather, HENRY DuPONT, the Media Mogul. His current net worth is in the 7.5 billion range, making him one of the richest men in Manhattan. Stephanie's family is what you would call old money; she is a direct heiress to the Graham Steel fortune. What no one knows is that Collin and Stephanie are still married, on paper that is, but it's no secret to their children that they have been emotionally divorced for years now. Collin is currently dating a Brazilian supermodel, and Stephanie has been spotted on various occasions with her personal trainer 'after hours'.

For Christian, growing up was a lonely time for him, as he was practically raised by nannies. That's why his growing friendship with Odette is so important to him, as she's really become special to him and he feels like he connects with her on a deeper level. When she asked him if he would like to escort her to the Diamond League Ball, he said yes with no hesitation. Right now, he wishes his family wasn't here mainly because they like to cause scenes anywhere they go. That can't happen here.

Odette walks up to him with a pretty smile. He returns it, wrapping her in a bear hug. "Normally I'd be here, all glammed up like I am now, but dateless. I'm so happy that you're here with me, Christian." She smooths his jacket collar down. "You look so handsome."

"Please," He spins her around. "You look stunning. I might have to keep you by my side all night. Can't let these other private school boys steal you from me."

She giggles and pulls him out of the hideaway ahead of everyone else. A private moment, anyone?

"Bro," Adrianna, who was watching the youngest two in the room, finds it mind-blowing that Odette can get a boyfriend but she can't. "Call me insane but I'm convinced my mother has warned all the guys at every private school in the city to avoid me. I'm about seconds away from yelling."

Brandon has a plan wedged up his sleeve. He has managed to find a guy for Adrianna- someone who fits her vibe. The guy, Brighton Bennett, plays on the lacrosse team with Blake. "Fear not, my friend. Blake has a friend/ teammate that's perfect for you. Passes your vibe check. Funny, tall, handsome." Blake playfully narrows his eyes at the younger. Brandon laughs and kisses his cheek. "Don't worry, Blakey. I'm all yours." He pouts his lips for a kiss that is gladly given to him.

"Alright, where he at? Because if my lonely ass continues to stand here around couples and shit, I will literally tear my hair out and I happen to love my hair, Brandon." She mutters while smoothing said hair down.

Blake checks his watch. "He'll be here in two minutes. Should I ask Mr. and Mrs. Hollingsworth if the guards can let him?"

"Yes." Brandon and Adrianna say in unison.

Honestly yes. Juliette and Charles don't like too many surprises. They like to be informed about things. So Blake walks over to them, takes the time to introduce himself, and then tells them what's going on.

"That's wonderful. Carter, call out to Matthew and Kyle and let them know that we have another guest coming with us. His name is Brighton Bennett."

"Yes ma'am." He presses the button on the side of his earpiece and speaks into it, giving the guard specific instructions. "Okay, he's on his way in."

That being said, it's time to get ready to head to the intercontinental hotel. Adrianna gets her first look at Brighton and let's just say she wants to pass out at how fine this guy is. Over here looking like Adonis with blue eyes and a stupidly stunning chiseled face. Lord, she's finding it really hard not to jump his bones right about now.

───── ♛ ─────

THE SPEECHES DRAG ON AND ON, so Aurora moves to look at the posters for the gala, displayed prominently on the stands down the corridor. A small smile appears on her face as she admires her lip work on Justin's cheek, captured for posterity in the pictures from the eventful photoshoot. He's a professional. She could spot the embarrassment in his eyes only because she knows it's there.

The heiress hadn't noticed when the monotonous oration turned into delicate music and the susurrations of the party getting started. She realizes it just as strong hands snake their way around her waist and close over her tummy. She feels the characteristic cool of his silver CARTIER ring on her skin, even through the layers of her dress. Light breath warms her earlobe before he moves directly in her line of her sight.

You and I (Nobody in the World) by JOHN LEGEND starts playing and he holds his hand out. "May I have this dance, my pretty dove?"

She smiles softly at him and takes his hand. "Of course." She lets him lead her to the dance floor. She twirls before finding her place in his arms when the music begins. They agree to a waltz, mainly to show off their high society upbringing by dancing elegantly and properly.

"I'm glad to get this dance all to myself" Justin mumbles in her ear. "Probably the one dance tonight when no one will dare to cut in."

She shoots him another one of her brightest smiles. They keep looking into each other's eyes the whole dance through, and Aurora proudly notes what a pretty picture they make. Hopefully, half the private school girls in the room or all the private school girls in the room (not her girls in the empire) are jealous. This is her moment with her man and she intends to make sure it's memorable.

The song ends and Justin bows, and places a kiss on her hand, earning him a few teasing comments from the crowd about how formal it is. Aurora catches sight of his mischievous grin a second before he dips her down for a Hollywood kiss, to the amusement and approval of the spectators in the crowd.

"Babe!" She giggles and then sighs breathlessly. "I love you so much."

In the mix of the swaying couples on the dance floor, Justin Winchester and Aurora Hollingsworth are making out with each other without a care in the world.

"Mm, I love you too, beautiful."

───── ♛ ─────

SOMEWHERE IN THE HOTEL, Scarlett is looking for her husband, who snuck off her very minute they arrived. She can't help but wonder if he's fucking someone. "His ass better not be cheating on me or all hell will break loose." This bitch. The author is laughing right now. She acts like she's not doing the same shit with the gardener every day.

As she walks further down the hallway, she hears loud moans and the sound of a headboard hitting the wall coming from one of the rooms. The male voice sounds super familiar to her and she goes to knock on the door... which happens to be unlocked.

She goes to walk in but something laying on the floor stops her from doing so. It's a skimpy lavender lace thong. They, for damn sure, don't belong to Scarlett. That's not her style.

She sniffs the air and is immediately ready to lose her shit. It smells of VERSACE Bright Crystal perfume (which she doesn't wear. She's more fond of Dior fragrances) and sex. If Aaron is doing what Scarlett thinks he's doing, she'll fuck both of them up. Not giving one shit about being quiet anymore, she storms inside, her Louboutin heels clicking loudly on every step, to the presidential suite. The door is wide open. Aaron is doing exactly as she suspected. That lowlife bastard is cheating on her with his fucking whore of a secretary, in this bed.

"Are you fucking kidding me, Aaron? There are many other harlots in this damn city to stick your dick in and you pick this bitch." Again, Scarlett, you do the exact same shit so you sound like a whole damn hypocrite right now.

Aaron bolts up from the bed at the sound of her voice. He makes no move to pick said dick back in his pants. Mind you, he's still wearing his tuxedo while Valentina is wearing nothing but some heels and a smirk on her face.

A storm is coming. Are you ready?