CHAPTER FIFTY

WHEN VICTORIA WALKS INTO the MONDRIAN hotel, she lets the grandeur of the building wash over her. This would all be his one day. She wonders what he'd do when it was. She has to admit, she's a little too slow to wipe away the image of herself, standing by his side.

Her LOUBOUTIN heels click noisily on the expensive floor of the foyer as she heads for the reception desk, with the air and audacity of somebody much older than her mere sixteen years.

"Hello. What can I do to help you?" The falsely warm smile from a plain blonde greets her.

"I'm looking for the hotel bar." She returns, unfaltering.

The receptionist's eyes narrowed nonetheless. "The bar?"

Victoria feels herself being harshly appraised. She could sense a question about her age coming and quickly moves to avoid it. "Yes. I'm meeting CARTER CROWN." She smiles. Dropping the name of the hotel owner's son would no doubt erase any questions from the receptionist's agenda.

But something in the eye of the woman behind the desk changes more unexpectedly than that, and her expression shifted from suspicion to deep, worried regret. "Of course. My most sincere apologies. It's through the doors to the left of the elevator. Would you like any further assistance finding it?"

Victoria ponders over the display, and what she now recognizes it to be fear that causes the young woman to stumble and stutter over her words. "I'll see myself, thank you." She says, turning to leave in the direction the receptionist had gestured, not missing the noticeable slump in her shoulders and breath of relief. Striking fear into the hearts of their employees? Clearly, the Crowns nurture a great work environment, she thought.

Pushing the heavy oak door open, she spots him immediately. His back is turned from her, both his elbows resting on the polished bar, he's the only person in the room beside the staff. A glass of champagne sits in the empty spot beside him.

"I think I'd rather see my drink poured in front of me." She jests, walking towards him. "Who knows what you could have put in there."

He turns towards her and she almost staggers. In the dim light of the bar, he looks devastating- the defined angle of his jaw almost painful. He's in a casual charcoal suit, fitted perfectly to his every muscle. His shirt is a soft lilac and the collar hung open, revealing the column of his neck. She feels an animal urge to attach herself to it.

"You'd really waste KRUG?" Carter jokes, standing to greet her. She allows him to embrace her and he places a soft kiss against her cheek. His breath prickles the fine hairs on her neck, and she knows he'd feel her involuntary shudder when he pulls back smirking. She takes the seat beside him, shrugging off her coat and enjoying watching his eyes rake across her body.

"I suppose not."  She concedes and takes a small sip. He watches the liquid travel down her throat. "So why did you want to see me?"

His eyes lift from the curve of her hip to her face. "We were rudely interrupted last night."

She scoffs and turned away from him in her chair, facing the bar. "You could say that."

"I didn't invite you out because I wanted you to leave after twenty minutes." He presses. "I told you, you're interesting. I want to know more about you." He sound honest, but still, she couldn't forget Jocelyn's many warnings about him being a stupendous fuckboy.

"Alright. I digress. What do you want to know?" She takes a long drink and pushes her blonde hair behind her shoulder.

"Are you wearing it?" It being what exactly? Just wait.

She coughs and chokes on her mouthful of bubbles.

"I'll take that as a yes."

"Hell no!" she objects quickly.