CHAPTER FORTY-FOUR

SPOILER ALERT: NEW CHARACTERS

SUNLIGHT FILLS THE SKY, pure scattered light; its hue ambitiously illuminating each crevice of the city. SOPHIA WINDSOR awakens to soft yet expensive Egyptian cotton sheets as the morning light trickles in through the silk curtains. Without a glance that way, she grabs her phone from its spot on the wireless charger and turns the alarm off before the rambunctious sound can echo all over the luxurious room.

She sits up, letting the sun loom over her briefly before undesirably herself from her stupidly comfortable California king-sized bed and strolls to her luxurious bathroom. Gleaming granite countertops, ornate square framed mirrors, a jacuzzi tub, and a walk-in shower with an oversized showerhead. Fluffy grey towels are neatly arranged along the wall right next to the sink. Her favorite part about this bathroom would have to be the heated flooring, especially when it's cold in the morning.

From outside the double doors of her bedroom, she can hear three voices- her stepmother LUCIENNA, KENDRA MORGAN, and ARIELLA MARINO. For some strange ass reason, her stepmother is always passive-aggressive towards her two best friends. Dom finds herself irritably rolling her hazel eyes in response to Lucy's unnecessary opinion- the main one being that Ariella and Kendra are using her stepdaughter for her money. Um, first of fucking all, those two are just as wealthy as Sophia is. No one is using anyone.

Officially having enough of the bullshit discussion currently taking place, she yanks both doors open and steps into the hallway, her lavender lace AGENT PROVOCATEUR slip making her golden skin pop beautifully. Thank goodness for the sunshine.

"Lucienna, leave them alone. They've done nothing wrong for you to have so much fucking animosity towards them. Hell, it's like you despise them for simply breathing. That stops now. Girls, come in and wait for me while I get ready." She lets them in her room and looks back at Vivienne with a deep scowl on her face. Lowly, she mutters, "If you don't want me to expose your little affair with James (the head of her father's security team), stop being rude. Next slip up and I'm telling my dad. Say goodbye to your wealthy life."

If you can't tell by now, Sophia is a daddy's girl. The man spoils her with whatever she wants. A whole new wardrobe? She gets it. A new car? She gets it. Endless amount of cash on her black American Express card? She gets that too.

CARSON WINDSOR is the CEO of his own company, WINDSOR INDUSTRIES- a media conglomerate specializing in film, radio, print, and television. Under him, up-and-coming models get jobs for makeup brands, car advertisements, even to be in music videos, you name it, he's getting it for them. Not just that, he's every woman's dream. Model, businessman, philanthropist. With hazel eyes, a chiseled face, hazelnut skin, and a height of 6'3, Not just that, he's every woman's dream. Model, businessman, philanthropist. Sophia's paternal grandfather, PHILLIP, started the company 50 years ago, from nothing for something legendary. Ten years ago, the many finally decided to retire and therefore handed the reigns of the job to Carson, giving him sole control. The best decision ever made because he's hardworking and has no problem stepping on anyone to get what he wants. The power this man has.

No wonder Lucienna acts like a bitch 24/7. The jealousy she has for her own stepdaughter and her husband's first wife (MEREDITH)is getting to her. They have a pedigree (We'll talk about Merri's later) Not to mention, the woman gets work done on her body every two weeks whereas Dom and Merri are flawless and perfect all over.

With one last glare at a stunned Lucy, Sophia saunters back into her room and sends looks of exasperation to the girls. "Ugh, she's so annoying. Acting like she's the shit all the time."

"You do the same exact thing though, Soph," Kendra says, staring pointedly at the ceiling and then back down at Sophia who just shrugs.

Ariella looks up from her iPhone to shake her head. "There's a difference there, Ken. It works for Sophia. The simple reason being that she is indeed that bitch. Lucienna, however, is not."

Kendra takes a moment to digest this sentiment and after three silent minutes, she runs a manicured hand through her blonde tresses. "I see your point. How do you two think LA Prep is going to be?"

Sophia has slightly checked out of the conversation only to answer her ringing phone. It's her own boyfriend JAYLEN HUNTINGTON calling her on FaceTime. She lets a stupid smitten grin grace her pretty face. "Hi, baby!"

"Hi, my darling. Did I wake you up?"

Sophia shakes her head. Aside from Ariella and Kendra, Jaylen is her everything. Sometimes (correction: every day), when she's not feeling good, just the thought of his name lightens her mood. She just feels content that he's there to protect her, to save her, to guard her, from any harm that will befall her. The heiress knows he'll always be there for her, to lift her up when she falls. Jaylen is everything Sophia knows, the person who laughs before picking her up, the person who hugs her when she's crestfallen, the person who wipes hot gloomy tears that fall from her eyes. Jay is her soulmate.

"No, my love. I am wide awake. Your voice is sexy. Did you just wake up?"

"Yeah. Like ten minutes ago. I was at some ridiculous ass business lunch with my parents earlier today and left it with the intent to sleep but then my mother called, bombarding me with questions. I think I fell asleep in the middle of that shit. Hell, I'm just happy my phone is charged up."

Sophia giggles and plops back down on the best. "What are you doing right now?"

"I might go to the gym in a little bit. I feel the need to work out."

She bites her lip, envisioning him in that gym, lifting weights in no shirt and a pair of Under Armor shorts. He needs to stop being so damn fine. That should be illegal.

As they continue talking, her phone beeps. An indication that another call is coming in. She checks the screen to see that it's Lucienna calling. What the hell does she want?

"Baby, my stepmother is calling me. I need to answer this or she'll blow my phone up all day. We can't have that shit."

"No worries, pretty girl. CARTER (Jay's younger brother) just barged into the penthouse, loudly yelling for me to get off my ass and hurry up. I'll see your gorgeous self later. I love you."

Sophia giggles. "You're such a charmer. I love you more. See you later." She hangs up and then answers Lucienna's incessant calls. "The fuck do you want?" An annoyed eye roll follows. "And why are you calling me from inside the house? If you want to speak to me, please don't by the way, walk your bitch ass up those stairs and talk in person." She leaves her room with Ari and Ken behind her.

They find themselves in her private parlor where her personal glam squad is setting things up. Lucy can be found lurking nearby. The loud clack of heels makes her eyes widen and straighten her posture. They widen even first upon seeing who's coming up the stairs.

It's Meredith, or Merri, as she's so affectionately known as Sophia's mother and model extraordinaire. She knows a thing or two about dealing with Lucy's idiocy. Honestly, she doesn't know what the hell Carson sees in this bitch. "Lucienna, I see you are still here. I'm surprised that Sophia hasn't killed you yet although I'm sure she's come close enough." She says with a fake grin, moving her brand new feu orange HERMÉS Birkin to the crook of her arm.

Sophia pops her head out into the hallway. "Hi, Mommy!"

"Hi, sweetie! I'm on my way in right now." As Meredith looks back at Lucy, the smile on her face turns into a devilish sneer. She smirks as the latter rolls her eyes. "Keep rolling them. Go ahead. Maybe you'll find a working brain back there."

As you can see, Sophia and Meredith are exactly the same. They're both ruthless in their hatred for wife number two!

"Don't forget. My daughter and I are ways above you on the spectrum. No matter what you think, I am always going to be in Carson's life. We know you want us out so you can have him all to yourself. Piece of advice- cross me and I will come for you." She glares and takes her leave, her rhinestone Louboutins clicking loudly as she walks down the hallway.

Face it, Lucy. You are nothing but a gold-digging trophy wife.