twenty-three

Kao

I was biting my nails as I sat fidgeting on the couch at six thirty.

I had no idea what time I slept that night after Pete left my room with just that statement.

All I know was that I woke up at four am all groggy and light headed and I was not able to go back to sleep that I ended up cleaning off the stick seeds, and arranged my room.

At around five, I finally decided to hit the shower as there was no sigh of my eyes wanting to go back to sleep.

But really, I was scared that I might wake up late if I tried to go back to sleep and ended to really sleeping and miss my appointment.

I had no idea what Pete wanted.

Apparently, the curiosity was driving me off the edge that I just had to know what he was up to.

"Here's a cup of coffee, Kao. Also, breakfast is ready if you feel like finally eating."

I looked up to Len holding the tray with the coffee.

They had been asking me what I wanted since earlier at five thirty when I got down and went straight to the living room already showered and dressed.

I didn't want them coming over to check on me every five seconds but at least they're calling me with my name now instead of addressing me with the cringe worthy young master and so I let them be and politely declined their offers.

"Or would you like for me to bring you breakfast here?"

I blinked at her.

I thought she left for the kitchen already.

"Uhm, no, Len, if fine, I'm just, yeah, coffee, I'll just have coffee. Thanks for this by the way. And really, you don't have to worry about me. I'm fine. I'll just call you if ever I would need something."

I didn't know why I was feeling all fidgety at the moment as I waited for the Pete Gregorio to finally come down.

All I know was that I'm feeling a little happy despite what he did to me with his stick seeds trick, and after leaving me in his office for days without anything to do, he's finally bringing me to work with them and I could not just be anymore happy at the moment.

I was too excited I could not almost drink the freshly brewed coffee Len prepared for me which tasted so heavenly.

I checked on my battered phone.

The time says it was five minutes before seven so I quickly finished my coffee off and and readied myself for when Pete finally showed himself at the stairs.

Maybe it was all the experiences from my past jobs and the praises and good words from my supervisor every time I do good and perform well that made me want to impress Pete-my boss.

I was so excited about these whole thing and maybe combined with the exhaustion of taking off all those stick seeds from my clothes that I slept so soundly the night before that I had no time to process all those past memories with Pete that resurfaced on my mind not until I saw him strode down the stairs with his hair brushed up and white tshirt on a black pants and white chuck Taylor's.

And he looked just like the old days which almost made me smile only if he didn't open his mouth when he was finally in front of me.

"You're wearing that!?!"

His question didn't register quickly as I looked at him take a swept at me from my head down.

I was wearing the most formal outfit I could pick from the random things I was able to stuff in my bag the night I left home-powdered blue long sleeved shirt on a light khaki jagger pants-which Lyn had to iron for me because she would not let me iron it myself when I asked her about it- and my worn out vans.