twenty-two

Kao

Present time

A knock on the door took me off my reverie.

"Come in!"

I said as I tried to shake off the remnants of memories I had no idea why I even revisited at that very moment.

"Kaleb."

He smiled at me as he made his way to where I was sitting on the couch.

"How's it going?"

He asked as he nodded at the stick seeds on my shirt which thankfully was almost off it at the moment.

"I had no idea I'm capable of this amount of patience until now."

I tried to joke as I continued picking up the sticks off my shirt.

"I'm sorry if I only came here now. Pete was being a bvtch about me helping you that he swarmed me with things to do. Good thing Rein called, I had to excuse myself and ran here after the call."

I rolled my eyes with what Kaleb said.

I was not even surprised.

Jerk Pete was really out to give me a hard time.

But I tried to focus on the bright side instead.

"How's Rein?"

I asked about Kaleb's wife.

It's been so long since I saw her.

"She's fine. She knows you're here."

Kaleb recounted.

It's obvious how he's very happy at the moment and I was happy for him.

"She's excited to talk to you and see you. But she's off to bed now. In a few weeks she'll finally deliver. So I had to be back to Bangkok. That means, it will just be you and Pete while I'm away. Please promise me you won't kill each other."

I rolled my eyes with what Kaleb said.

He could have just continued talking about his wife instead of mentioning Pete and souring my mood even more.

"Between the two of us, you know very well who's more likely to lose his shvt!"

Kaleb chuckled as he continued helping me out with the remaining sticks on my clothes.

"I know, that's why I'm talking to you instead of him. Can you just please understand him? And let him be? It's not because he's rich now and he's our boss but because you know very well how he thinks sometimes."

I shook my head at Kaleb.

"No I don't."

I told him.

I didn't want to give off the idea that Pete and I were close.

Enough for me to know what Kaleb was talking about.

"Kao, come on."

I raised my eyebrows at Kaleb.

I'm trying so hard to not associate myself with Pete, specially now, and yet, Kaleb here was trying to do exactly the opposite.

"What? As far as I'm concerned I'm just Pete's secretary now, who, if I may mention, is useless at the moment. Why did he even hire me if he's just going to have me sit in his office the whole day with nothing to do!?!"

I ranted at Kaleb before I angrily went back to cleaning my shirt off the sticks.

At least I'm really close to being done now!