thirty-four

Pete

"You're back!"

I called out from the dining area where I was eating alone when I heard the motor cycle Kao commissioned to take him to and fro the bus stop down the hill and into the city.

This was the reason why he was so adamant to have not any of the drivers much more me-send him or fetch him to and from the bus stop which is a good ten minutes or so ride to the house.

At first, he would only have the motorcycle man send and fetch him from the gate which was about thirty meters to the house and when I asked him why, he told me he didn't want to have strangers let inside the compound.

And I was with him on that.

But the day I learned about his commissioned ride on the third day of his back to school, I asked Kaleb to do a back ground check of the old man driver and after my personal assistant vouched for the back ground of the guy, I let him in the compound for Kao the following day.

Kao seemed pleased and I was happy.

"Yeah..."

I heard Kao's footsteps towards where I was having my dinner alone as Kaleb already flew to Bangkok for his wife who's scheduled to be in labor anytime soon.

I was a bit lonely since Kaleb has always been my dinner buddy since Kao started university as he always take his dinner at the home office trying to finish all the stuff he's supposed to do according to him.

And I didn't want to argue because Kaleb specifically told me and had reminded me over and over again to let Kao loose-which I was trying to do for about a week now two weeks into Kao being back to school.

It was hard for me but somehow, I was able to restrain myself and had been content just by knowing that he's fine with Gum-unknown to Kao, still looking after him form afar.

God knows how many times I wanted to yell at Kao for coming home later that usual and for going out with his classmates-that Caizer guy in particular but every time I would want to do so, Kaleb's words would always resonate.

"If you want to have him back, then you have to learn to be more patient with him. He's not the same Kao he was before. He's older now and much wiser and had taller walls built around himself. You need to be more understanding."

And that I aimed to be.

"Good evening."

He stood next to my right.

"Good evening. Come on, sit down, join me."

I smiled at him.

Hoping he'd find me less demanding.

"I, Uhm, thank you but no thank you. I already have my dinner."

I couldn't help but furrowed my brows with what he said.

"A classmate invited us for her birthday dinner, I couldn't say no."

I heaved a sigh.

Well, okay.

It's fine, I guess.

"That's great. I mean, I'm glad that you're getting more friends and Uhm, it's nice that you also go out sometimes."

I really didn't want him to go out for selfish reasons but thanks to Kaleb, I was finally able to overcome that impulse of wanting to have Kao just for myself compared to before.

"Yeah, Uhm, I'm just gonna. I'm just gonna go to the office. I'll be finishing up the reports Kaleb asked me to make. I think, it'll be done by tomorrow already."