fifty-six

Kao

Five years ago

"What's wrong!?!"

I asked Pete when he suddenly stopped his motorcycle by the side walk.

I made a face when he didn't speak but instead, he extended his hand to grab both of mine and guided those around his hips.

"For safety purposes, you should hold on tight."

He said casually and flicked my head before he revived the motorcycle and we went on the road as if he didn't just made my heart beat like crazy.

Yes, we've been together for quiet sometime now and just when I thought I would get used to having him this close to me and him being extra caring and unintentionally romantic, I couldn't help but feel jiggly every time.

And it's funny because he makes me both relaxed and nervous at the same time the feeling is just making me crazy.

"Where are we going?"

I asked later on when I realized that the way we're traveling through was unfamiliar.

We came from the shop where he paid the installment for his motorcycle he was so proud about as his three year loan was closing on to an end all because of the hard work he had undergone over the years.

I smiled and felt proud of him with the thought.

It's easy to fall in love with Pete with his look but hearing all the things he had to go through just to get by, doing menial and odd jobs just to help his mother over the years made me fall in love with him more.

From being an errand boy in the market at a very young age.

To doing part time at food shops and gasoline stations just to survive and send himself to school even if it meant he would graduate older than his classmates as he had to drop out of school multiple times due to financial reasons, he persisted and now, he's almost there.

I'm happy to see him achieve all those because he deserves it.

And I'm so blessed to be beside him as all of those happens.

"Why are you smiling? Are you that happy to get the chance to hug me?"

I gaped at the guy smiling at me on the side mirror as I jokingly hit him on his shoulders.

He was right with what he said but he didn't have to embarrass me that way.

"You're delusional!"

I glared at him but his eyes were already on the road.

"Am I, really?"

He asked cockily and I shook my head.

"Whatever! You still haven't answered my question. Where are we going?"

This is the second time I came with him during his payment, the first time, we weren't official yet—and this is not the way we took when he sent me home right after.

"We're going somewhere."

I groaned at him.

I somehow didn't like surprises.

"Obviously. But where?"

I heard him chuckled .

"You'll see."