thirty-seven

Pete

"What have you been doing while I'm away? Have you been watching movies? Like IT, maybe?"

My best friend made a face at me as he adjusted himself on the computer.

"What? It, like the killer clown?"

I furrowed my brows at him as he laughed.

"Yes. One more stretch and I think your mouth is gonna need a surgery. I'm the new father here, how come you looked happier than me?!? You're never this happy even after closing a huge deal. What's up!?!"

I looked at Kaleb and smirked.

We were on video call and he just told me how Rein has finally delivered their baby.

The jerk was over the moon and had talked about nothing but Rein and the baby for the past hour since I called him.

But I guess he had come down from the high as I felt like he was starting to trash talk me already.

"You always notice the stupid things, no?"

I tried to play down the situation.

"Yeah. That's why I always notice you."

I gave my best friend a wry smile before I flipped a finger at him and he laughed boisterously.

"Haha. Very funny. So how's Rein and the baby? I'm excited to see the baby. I just hope he looks like Rein."

I smirked at my best friend trying to hurt his ego but I knew that it would not do anything to him with his state at the moment.

"My lovely wife is fine, recovering. And the baby's fine too. Of course he's handsome cause he looks like me. Now, back at you-and don't change the subject, we're already done talking about Rein an our baby an hour ago."

I snickered and unconsciously scratched me on my left eyebrow before I regarded my best friend who wiggled his eye brows at me.

"Please don't tell me you were finally able to tie Kao and secured him in your basement that was why you're just too happy you'll finally have him to yourself."

I made a face at my best friend.

"You're not funny. And I would never do that to Kao are you crazy!?!"

I glared at him.

"And even if I did, do you really think Kao would just sit there and do nothing!?!"

Kaleb just shrugged at what I said.

"Yeah, well, I know you can both be crazy!"

I rolled my eyes at him.

"Fvck you!"

My best friend just rolled his eyes at me before I saw him took a sip from his coffee.

He was at the hospital lobby at the moment while he let his wife slept.

"Whatever! Just tell me! What's up!?!"

He said and eyes me knowingly before he finished off his coffee and walked to the bin to throw his empty cup away before he found a chair and sat there.

Now, my best friend was so ready to grill me.

"Well-."

He raised his eyebrows at me and even though I didn't meant to, Kao's confused and conflicted face the last time me spoke as I was having dinner crossed my mind.

I could still hear his voice echoing in my ear and even if he called me an idiot in the same sentence, all I could ever think of was the 'chance' he said he was giving me and damn did it make me smile!