fifty-seven

Kao

present time

"We should talk."

I swallowed dryly as I heard what tita said on the other line.

I bit on my lower lip hoping that I was wrong and that it wasn't really her that's calling me.

How did she even get my number!?!

Wait, okay, never mind.

She's Pete's mother after all so that's really a moot question.

"Kao!?! I know it's you. I know you hear me. Speak. Talk to me."

I heaved a sigh the same time I heard the door clicked.

I was surprised to know that I was already inside my room.

How was I able to walk from school to my place without meeting an accident was a surprise to me as my mind was really afloat all those times I was revisiting the past and hearing Pete's mother's voice that instance.

"Kao? Are you really ignoring me!?!"

I closed my eyes shut.

I didn't want to.

I actually wanted to speak and talk to her but nothing is coming out of my mouth what is wrong with me!?!

And I'm not even sure why I was nervous.

I did nothing I know of that could irk Pete's mother.

And yet she called me.

She's in a call with me.

How?

Why!?!

Why call me!?!

This would be the first time we'd interact with each other after all these years and I'm not sure I could say that I was thrilled.

"That's it! Guess I should just fly there first thing tomorrow so I could talk to you—."

My eyes widened and I thought I flipped when I threw my bag carelessly on to the couch before I walked to the nearby window and ended up  screaming at my phone.

"—tita!"

My  voice boomed on the four corners of my room.

"Excuse me!?!"

I cleared my throat as I tried to calm my heart when I heard her voice yet again.

"Hello, tita. I'm sorry, there's something wrong with my connection I guess, I can't—I can't hear you properly."

Of course I was lying.

Hopefully she buys it and the universe would not punish me for lying this way.

"So, Uhm—what can I do for you?"

I asked.

Hoping she would forget the fact that I just screamed at her.

"So you're together with Pete, again!?!"

I blinked at the afternoon sun when I heard her question.

What the fvck!?!

How should I answer her!?!

I haven't talked to Pete about this yet!!!

What should I tell her!?!

"I—have you—?"

I stammered as I was still trying to think on what to say when she interrupted me.