fifty-nine

Pete

"Call Aldo, reschedule a meeting that is not today. Actually, kindly clear my schedule for today. Also, I've forwarded you the contract from Vames and that proposal from Havs, please read it for me. I'm on my way to the city now I need to see Kao."

I told Kaleb on the other line the moment he answered my call.

I was driving on my way to the city for Kao.

"Ohooo!!! Dropping everything for the boyfriend I see."

I groaned in frustration with what he said.

"Yeah right! Boyfriend my ass! My mother is with him as we speak."

I said and the thought made me wish my car could fly instead so I wouldn't have to deal with this traffic.

"Oh, really that's—what!?! Aunty is with Kao!?! How? When!?!"

Kaleb's  surprised voice boomed inside my car.

"Exactly my question! The last time I knew, my parents were in Hong Kong. I don't know what happened and my boyfriend suddenly called telling me my mother was waiting for him at his apartment."

My mother and I didn't have a nice conversation the last time and she told me I made her stressed out that she dragged my father for a quick vacation but what now!?!

"But. It couldn't be that bad, right?!? I mean, what could go wrong with your mother and boyfriend being together?!?"

I shook my head with my best friend's optimism.

I wish I had the same.

"Hmm, let's see. My mother didn't want me to comeback here for Kao, how's that!?! She didn't talk to me for a month when I moved back. I could only imagine the things she might be telling Kao now. And you know how Kao is. The last thing I want is for him to run away again."

I shook my head at the thought.

It was hard enough to convince him to stay with me again, and yet, just when things are starting to get better between the two us, this would happen!?!

"Don't get stressed out just yet. Maybe aunty just want to catch up and surprise you two!?!"

I groaned inwardly.

I appreciate Kaleb trying to pacify me but really, it wasn't helping.

"Yeah, sure! Maybe if we didn't argue the last time we talked, maybe I could hope for that. But she doesn't like the idea of me putting up a company here so my hunch is that's the reason why she's here. She knows I'm staying because of Kao and she didn't want that."

The idea was a consideration since the first time I thought of getting back together with Kao a couple of years ago but I really didn't put it much consideration until recently and Kao seemed to be enjoying his life here at the moment.

"Damn! Kao's not answering his phone."

I groaned loudly when I tried to call him again with my personal phone and he wasn't answering.

"Okay, okay. I'll take care of everything but don't drive too fast. And don't argue with your mother more than necessary. You wouldn't want her to be in your bad side."

I heaved a sigh and nodded at what my best friend said.

"Yeah, okay. Thanks. Call when I can. Bye."

I said as I dropped the call and went on calling Kao back.

I was supposed to have an important meeting with a client today but nothing is more important that this.

"Kao, what the hell! Answer your phone."