8. Unapproval

~Ryan Kelly~

I sat eating breakfast listening to the news from my phone. I looked up to see the boys running into the house.

"Dad?" they called.

"Boys."

"Is Sydney up yet?" the boy who resembled me asked.

"I haven't seen her," I stated simply.

"Michael, lets go wake her up," the boy who resembled my wife stated.

They ran upstairs and I continued having my breakfast. Karla then came into the room. Our eyes met. Her bruise was now very visible and even her make up couldn't cover it up.

"Good morning," she greeted.

"Morning," I replied.

I went on eating my breakfast while she just stood there.

Knowing her, I knew, she wanted to ask me something. A stupid question. And I hate those questions. They irritate me. They anger me and I don't think she wants me angry top of the morning.

"Where were you last night?"

There it is.

I looked at her, "Out."

"Where? You didn't spend the night."

"Here you are again. Asking another stupid question," I sighed getting up.

"As your wife I deserve to know," she stated.

I scoffed in surprise, "Oh... you're my wife now? What happened to the divorce papers?"

She looked away. "I burnt them."

I raised my brows. I was genuinely surprised. I didn't think she would do something smart for once but she did. I was glad she did the right thing.

I walked up to her until I was standing in front of her. She stiffened and avoided eye contact. When I raised my hand she flinched with a gasp. I rested my hand on her cheek and kissed her lips.

"I won't hurt you," I whispered.

She sighed in discomfort.

I was about to kiss her again when I heard foot steps approaching. I looked at up to see Richard.

"Umm dad?"

"Yes?"

"Sydney won't get out of bed again."

I sighed and followed the boy upstairs. We got to my daughter's room. She lay on her bed, under her blanket with her back to me. Michael was shaking her telling her to get up.

"No! I don't wanna!" she whined.

Michael took notice of my presence then got up and and stood beside his brother at the door.

I got down on one knee at her bedside and lay my hand on her shoulder. "Good morning Sydney," I greeted her.

She didn't answer.

"Sydney, won't you get out of bed?"

She shook her head.

"Why not?"

"Tired."

"Why? Did you not have a good night's rest?"

My daughter looked at me, tears stained her cheeks. She shook her head.

"Did you take your pills?"

"I don't wanna," she mumbled. "I thought I could sleep without them."

The sight of her cracked my heart. I may seem like a monster but, I got a heart, it feels and beats. I truly love my children. And my fatherly instinct makes me worry most about my daughter.