22. Help

~Zinhle Mpumelelo~

I sat staring in an empty space for a while. Then I walked up and down for a while. Then I went out for some air. Then I came back inside and sat down for a while. And the process repeated itself for a good two hours or so.

I couldn't wrap my head around what Nolwazi said about Ryan. How could he have been raped? Last time I checked he's committed the crime himself. How can he now be the victim?

That doesn't sound right. Nolwazi is probably still high.

I walked past the reception and overheard two nurse's conversation.

"Eish the man said he has no family, only his fiancee."

"Well what now?"

"Hes asleep now but I guess we have to call her."

"I have his phone here, what did he say her name was?"

"Zinhle."

I looked over my shoulder at the nurses. Were they talking about who I thought they were talking about?

"Ok, I found the number. I'll call now."

"Dankie sisi."

It couldn't be.

I watched as the nurse at reception dialled the number and held the phone to her ear. Just then my phone started ringing. I looked at my screen then at the nurse.

"Hello?" I greeted.

"Hi, is this Zinhle?"

"Yes... this is she."

"Your boyfr- I mean fiance... Leon Kelly, he was in an accident and he's currently in hospital." I began to walk towards reception, "He really needs support from a loved one right now and he says you're all he's got."

I was standing at reception when I said, "Where's his room?"

The nurse looked at me and hung up. "That was quick. Go straight, first intersection turn right, third door."

"Thanks."

I walked to the room and took a deep breath before walking in. All I saw were plasters and bandages. His lower half was covered with a blanket but I could see that both his legs were raised. His lower abdomen was bandaged and he had a few stitches on his arm. His right fist was covered in a cast. And his nose, probably broken.

I felt my eyes sting with tears.

Why did I let him go? Why did I listen to him the one time I shouldn't have?

I mean sure we're no longer an item but... I still love him. Ok? I still love him. And the thought of almost losing him... its not sitting right with me. It breaks my heart. It snaps it and just... I can't lose Leon. I can't.

He's the man who was with me through it all. When I was blind he guide and protected me. He was patient despite his impatient nature. He was caring and honest. And sure, he lied about Sherri but... we can make it work. We can fix it.

But he cheated though...

But he's dying though...

But he lied though...

But I still love him...

I wanted to touch him but I felt unworthy, so I turned to leave.

"Zee? Is that you?"

I looked over my shoulder at him. He lifted his hand slightly, reaching for me.

"Please... don't leave me..."