32. The History

~Leon Kelly~

I saw a bright light and closed my eyes again. I tried to open my eyes to see the same brightness but it was slightly dimmer. I blinked, clearing my vision slightly. I blinked again and noticed lines. I blinked once more to realise I was staring at a ceiling.

I felt a discomfort on my face, then I became aware of pain in my chest. I breathed out, the pain spread out. When I tried to breath in, it was sharp. I groaned.

"Leon?"

I shifted my eyes to my left and caught a glimpse of Zee. I slowly turned my head preparing for any sort of pain I wasn't yet aware of. I successfully turned my head 90 degrees to look at her. I breathed out. I tried to say her name but nothing would come out. I tried again and managed to get a croak out.

"Shh, dont talk. It's ok."

I took a deep breath in and winced at the pain in my ribs.

"The doctor said he broke three on your right and one on your left," she stated slowly raising her hand and bringing it towards my face. "He broke your nose, bruised your face horrifically." She rested her hand on my neck with her fingers touching my jaw.

I sighed and closed my eyes, embracing her touch.

"The braces on your legs... they don't know much about those. He might've just damaged the tissue around them such as skin, muscle... they think your bones have healed enough. All that's left is strengthening them so they can remove the braces."

I opened my eyes to see her really close. She kissed my forehead gently. Even if I had to get kissed by a feather, it still would've hurt but from her lips, the pain was worth it. I felt her fingers rake my hair stands. She then caressed her fingers down my neck before she pulled away.

"Since you can't talk at the moment, I'm going to ask you a few questions. They're all rhetorical."

She took my hand.

"What drove you to sleep with Sherri?" My heart began to beat harder against my chest. "I mean, I know you were high plus drunk... but I just wonder... why?" So much I wanted to say to her. So much I wanted to explain. She was smart in asking me when she knows I can't speak. Very smart.

"Cause, if I'm being honest, Sherri is not an ugly woman. I would call her an upgrade compared to me," she ended off with a chuckle. "Like... you really don't have bad taste in women... and she's probably more experienced in bed... so I wonder, are you not even a little bit attached?"

I couldn't shut up. "If she was an upgrade... why did i go on one knee... for you... but not her?" I forced the words out. My voice was hoarse but I got my message through.

She stared at me blankly. My words really touched her. Zee squeezed my hand and smiled, "It's amazing how you make me feel so warm inside with the little things you do."

I squeezed her hand in return.

Just then the door opened behind her. She looked over her shoulder. She let go of my hand then got up. "Ryan?"

A moment later I saw my half brother standing beside Zee. "Hi Zinhle," he greeted. Zee looked at me. I blinked slowly to show her it was ok.

"Leon." I looked at him. "Are you alright?" I sighed, hurting my ribs a bit. "What happened?"

I looked at Zee. She spoke on my behalf keeping it short and brief, "My father gave him a beating."

"Why? Hes never given me a beating and I deserve one. What could be worse than what happened with Nolwazi?"

Zee looked down at the floor.

Ryan looked at me then looked at Zee. "If its a sensitive topic, I understand," he said quickly.