Chapter 40

Chapter 40

For the second time that morning, I didn't get to finish my breakfast. I threw what I didn't eat away, and I exited the cafeteria. Stupid! I'm so stupid! I thought to myself. The entrance was right in front of me, and I walked through the doors, allowing the morning sun to hit me. I sat down on the steps and put my face in my hands, feeling tears stream down my face.

"Annalise?"

I turned around quickly to see Ryder at the door. I quickly wiped the tears from my eyes. "Hi."

"You okay?" He asked. I nodded.

"Yeah," I said, but my voice cracked.

Ryder took a seat next to me and sighed. "I'm sorry."

I shook my head. "Don't worry about it Ryder. None of it is your fault."

"I still feel bad."

Another tear fell from my eye, dripping onto my skirt. I looked down at my feet and kicked a few pebbles away. "I never knew he felt that way." I confessed to Ryder.

"I did. I could tell by the way he looked at you."

I looked up at him. "Really?"

"Yeah," he said. "That's why I thought he would be a distraction to your training."

"Ooh," I said in realization. "Well, now I feel stupid."

Ryder turned his body closer to me and put his arm around my shoulders, making my heart race. "Don't feel stupid. I bet you get it a lot, don't you?"

"Get what?" I asked.

"Were all the guys back home in love with you?" My eyes widened.

"No, not really." I said, laughing. "They were all in love with a girl named Carly Montgomery. She was the most beautiful and popular girl in town."

Ryder shrugged and looked at me. "I've never really had a thing for the popular girls." He said softly. I smiled a little and kicked a few more pebbles out of the way. "Tell you what," Ryder said, standing up. "I'm going to a party tonight. You can come with me if you want. It might keep your mind off of Daniel."

"Party?" I asked. "Parties usually have a lot of people."

Ryder laughed. "Come on, it'll be fun! And if anyone tries anything, you can kick their butt!"

This time I laughed. "I don't know about that. But maybe I'll go."

"That's the spirit!" He said. "I'll come by your room at 8, okay? We can go over there together."

"Alright, that works for me." I told him.

"Cool, see you tonight." Ryder said, opening the door. He went back inside, leaving me alone to my thoughts. But even though I was alone again, I felt a little bit better than I did earlier.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
6/4/15

Thanks for reading!

What do you guys think is going to happen at the party?