Chapter 48

Chapter 48

"K-kiss you?" I stuttered. Was my hearing okay? Is that really what he asked?

"Yep," Ryder said, smirking.

"No."

"Aw, why not?" He asked, frowning.

"Because."

"Because why?"

"J-just because!" I cried.

He smirked. "You know, I bet we could generate a ton of power if we kissed. I think we should try."

"No Ryder, I can't." I told him.

He sighed and nodded, waving his hand over my feet. The tar disappeared, and my feet were free again. Immediately I started walking towards the door. "Annalise, wait!"

"What?" I asked, turning around.

"I really think we should continue your lessons. Can you at least forgive me enough to do that?"

I was silent for a moment. "Okay," I replied, walking out the door.

***

"Stop Ryder, let go!" I cried.

Ryder let go of my arm that he had twisted as soon as I said it.

"If it hurts, then block me before I can do it."

I sighed and crossed my arms over my chest. I just couldn't get the hang of these lessons no matter how hard I tried.

"I'm sorry, but I'm just not getting it."

Ryder sighed as well, knowing that we didn't make very much progress today. "Okay. That's all for today. We'll continue tomorrow."

I nodded, heading for the door, but he didn't follow. "Are you coming?"

"No, I'm just going to stay up here for a bit." He said, sitting down at a desk.

I nodded and reached for the door handle, then stopped. Something was definitely up with him, and I knew I would feel guilty for the rest of the day if I didn't talk to him. I walked over and pulled a chair up next to him and sat down.

"Hi," I said awkwardly.

"Hi..."

"Nice day, huh?"

"Annalise, may I help you?" He said, almost yelling. Tears started welling up in my eyes at his harsh tone, and he could tell he made a mistake as soon as the words came out of his mouth. He said a bad word under his breath. "I'm so sorry. I'm just stressed out, that's all."

"What's going on?" I asked him.

"Nothing you need to be worrying about," he said, giving me a small smile. I wasn't convinced.

"Ryder?" I asked quietly. "What's going on?" My hand found his shoulders, and I began to rub his back in attempt to comfort him.

He turned to face me and looked in my eyes, shaking his head. "I'm worried about you, Annalise. Devin's only getting stronger. And I, I'm getting..." He trailed off.

"You're getting what?" I asked.

"Nothing. The point is, at this rate, you'll never be able to defend yourself from anyone in time. We have to try a different approach."

"Like what?"

"I don't know, I'll have to think about it." It was silent for a bit, but then he spoke up again. "But Annalise, you need to be careful. Do you still have the pen I gave you?"

I nodded. "It's in my room."

"Good. But from now on, take it wherever you go. I don't care where you are. Even if you're just going downstairs to get something to eat. Always have it on you."

I nodded again.

"Okay," he said. "You go get something to eat. I'm going to make plans for our lesson tomorrow."

"Alright," I said, standing up. He stood up as well and took my hand.

"Listen, Annalise. I really do care about you. So if I'm not around for any reason, I want you to stick with Daniel. Can you do that for me?"

"Of course."

"Okay. Go get something to eat."

But I didn't. Instead I pulled Ryder into a hug. We stayed like that for awhile, and before I pulled away, I kissed him on the cheek.

"What was that for?" He asked.

"I don't know," I replied. "Maybe for being sensitive and sweet for the first time since I met you."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1/13/16