Chapter 29

Chapter 29

My eyes widened, and so did Ryder's. Was he really asking me to the formal? A sweet, handsome guy like him? I though about it, and decided to give my answer.

"Yes."

"No."

Both of our heads snapped to Ryder, who had an angry expression on his face.

"What?" Logan asked, confused.

"Yes," I said, smiling shyly.

Logan grinned.

"No." Ryder said again.

"Ryder!" I warned.

"What are you trying to do?" Ryder asked Logan. "Is it her powers you want? Because there's no way you'll get them."

"No, of course not!" Logan said.

"Ryder!" I shouted. They stopped their bickering and stared at me in shock. "Can I speak to you? Alone?" I asked angrily.

He nodded and followed me down the hall. Logan stepped back inside the classroom.

"What are you doing? Someone finally asked me to the formal!" I yelled.

"I don't have a good feeling about him." He answered calmly.

"Why not?! He was the one who saved me the other night from Devin! I trust him completely!"

"I know. But it seems suspicious to me." He replied.

"How? Look, he saved me, and he seems interested in me. Ryder, this has never happened before. Can't you just understand that?"

"I do! But don't you think it's a little convenient that he was there at the right place at the right time? And now all of a sudden he's asking you to the formal? He never showed interest in you before, Annalise. He could easily just be using you for your powers!"

"Is that what you think?" I asked him, very offended. "Because I'm so repulsive that no one would want to date me unless there was something in it for them right?"

"No, that's not what I m-"

"Yes it is!" I yelled. "You know what? Just stay away from me. I'll do whatever I want. And if something happens, whatever. I don't care anymore!"

"Annalise, please. You're going to get hurt." He said, almost begging. I looked into his eyes, which had softened. "I can't let that happen."

And that's when the tears started rolling down my cheeks.

"I want to go with him." I said.

"I know you do." He sighed. "Okay. Go on in there and tell him yes."

"What?"

"How about this: You, Logan, Daniel, Sarah, Katrina, and I go into town for dinner tomorrow before the formal. Then we can all go together. That way I can keep my eye on you."

I nodded, wiping away my tears. "Okay."

"Good. Now go to class. You're late." He said.

"What about you?"

"I don't really feel going to class today."

"Wait, what?"

"I'm skipping." He said bluntly.

"Ryder! Why?"

"Because I can. Feel free to come with."

I stood there, trying to decide what to do. I could either skip class and hang out with Ryder, or I could go back to class and tell Logan that I would be going to the formal with him. Finally, I decided to go back to class.

"Bye," I said. "Thank you for letting me go with Logan."

He smiled. "You're welcome."

And with that, he turned around and walked away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1/7/15

Thanks for reading! :)