Chapter 18

Chapter 18

I stayed silent as Ryder went through the weapons cabinet in the west tower, searching for a good weapon for me. A few minutes later, he closed the doors with nothing in his hands.

"Honestly, I think you need to learn to defend yourself without weapons before you learn to actually use one," He told me. He walked over to a mat he had put down earlier and gestured for me to follow him. He turned around to face me.

"Punch me." He demanded.

"What? Of course not!" I told him.

"Just do it," he said.

"I don't want to hurt you!"

He laughed. "You won't, trust me."

I waited a second, and then I pulled my hand back and punched him in the arm. He didn't even flinch.

"That was it? That was a punch?" He asked. I stayed silent. He sighed and walked over to the punching bag against the wall.

"Watch me." He said, looking back towards me. He threw his arm back and punched the bag really hard. "Come here, I'll show you."

I came over to him and stood next to the bag. "First of all, always have your thumb outside of your fist. Never have it on the inside. It could hurt it pretty bad." He said, pointing to his fist.  He turned back to the punching bag. "And punch with your entire body, not just your arm." He said.

He took a step with his left foot, pulled his arm back swung it forward and across his body, and moved his torso along with it. "Now you try,"

I stood in front of the punching bag and tried doing what he just did. The bag barely moved.

I heard him silently laughing behind me. "Remind me to never fight alongside you." I smiled a little. "Try again."

I did it again, a bit harder.

"Better, but you would still lose in a fight between you and a four year old."

"I'm not made for fighting!" I said to him.

He sighed and put his hands on my shoulders. "Annalise, you have about twenty times more power than the others here. There will be times when people will fight you for them."

"Wait, but how does someone even steal powers?" I asked him. He stayed silent for a minute and took a deep breath.

"You have to kill them." He stated.

My eyes widened. "What?"

"Whenever one witch or warlock kills another, their powers are added to the killer's powers."

I stood there, shocked. "So there will be people who want to kill me?" I asked. He nodded.

"And me. That's why I need to train you. That's why you need to know how to fight. That's why I need to stay with you wherever you go."

I slowly nodded my head.

"And besides, most girls wouldn't pass up an opportunity to have a little extra time with me."

I smiled a little bit. "You're cocky," I told him.

He laughed. "But you love it."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11/30/14

Thanks for reading!