Chapter 1

"You useless brat! Your the worst son anyone could ever have! You should have never been born." He shouted as he punched my face repeatedly.

I cried and begged for him to stop but it was no use, he wouldn't listen, he was blinded by pure rage. It was always like this, he would torment me for no other reason but the fact i was born.

"You weak piece of shit." He said grabbing a knife off of the kitchen table.

He grabbed me by my hair and held me up to face him, "maybe this will teach you something." He said as he plunged the knife into my cheek and dragged it along to the corner of my mouth.

I screamed, cried and tried to get away from him but he couldn't. Blood trickled down my cheek as i struggled in his grip. He eventually dropped me as he pulled the knife through the corner of my lip and out leaving a long slice through my cheek leading from my jawline to my mouth.

I landed on the floor in a small puddle of blood, the bloodstained knife was dropped to the floor as my so called 'father' walked out of the room. He mumbled something similar to 'I need a drink' as he left.

I stood up and immediately began to clean up the pool of blood, i knew that if i didn't clean it up, a worse punishment would await me when father got back. I had cleaned up the blood from the floor and knife and put the knife away when i walked towards a mirror.

The cut went all the way through my cheek, it was ugly as hell too, ontop of that i was skinny, way too skinny from being basically starved every day. I cleaned myself up and bandaged my face, after that i left the house. I didn't want to stick around anyway because i wouldn't want to be there when father came home drunk.

I wandered around for awhile, i live in trost district so there is always plenty of people around, though i don't talk to any of them. They all don't want anything to do with me anyway, after all, I'm the battered and bruised kid with a psycho dad.

The noise of the gate opening ahead of me cut through the air, i ran towards it to see the scouts coming back from an expedition.

I watched as they all funneled in, some were on horseback, some walking and some in wagons. Plenty of them were injured but still looked as if they had a spark in them. They're all so strong, maybe if i could become one, father might think I'm not weak!

~~timeskip~~

"A scout? Your too puny to be any kind of soldier, let alone a scout!" He shouted.

I sat on the floor huddled in a corner clutching my bruised arm to my chest,

"Your delusional boy." He said as he turned to leave, "and cover up that scar on your cheek, it's hideous."

And with that father left, he was right though, the scar is hideous. If i open my mouth wide enough, the scar would open up to the point where i can see the inside of his mouth through it. That should be fixed when the scar heals though.

I grabbed a black mask from the counter and put it on,
"I look better with this mask on if I'm being honest. Father was wrong about one thing though, I can, and will become a scout! I'm not weak, and I'll show him!" I thought to myself as i looked at my reflection in a mirror.

~~timeskip~~

First day of training, and i am NOT looking forward to it. The commandant looks terrifying, hes bald too, looks like an egg if I'm being honest. All the new cadets were told to introduce ourselves.

"Petra Ral!"

After a few more people it came to me,

"Ash Pearl from Trost district sir!"

"And what the hell are you here for?" Asked the commandant as he stared me down.

"I was to join the scouts and be strong sir!"

"Oh? Pretty boy wants to be strong does he? You'll make a good snack for the titans."

I lowered my head and started at the floor. "the hell us his problem? I thought to himself as the commandant moved on to other people, who also introduced themselves.

"Oluo Bozado!"

After that, the cadets were all sent to the barracks to socialize, eat then go to sleep for tomorrows training.

I met two people there, Petra and Oluo they seemed nice, so we all got to talking.

"By the way Ash, what's with the mask?" Asked Petra.

"Oh- it's just for looks I guess?" I replied hoping i didn't make it too clear that i was lying.

"Why don't you take it off to eat? You haven't even touched your food." Said Petra as she took a bite out of a piece of bread.

"I'm not really hungry." I said. Truthfully, I just didn't want to take the mask off.

"That stupid, eat the foo-" Oluo started but was cut off by him biting on his tongue.

"That's what you get for flapping your joules while eating." Said Petra as she hit him over the back of the head.

I laughed and smiled behind the mask. "Well, at least I made some friends. Now, I will become stronger and join the scouts, to prove to anyone who looked down on me that I am not weak!" I thought to myself.