t w e n t y t h r e e : saree blouse

"hey, adrian? what are your plans for spring break?"

"nothing, as of yet. are you still flying to india?"

"uh-huh."

"all alone? ira, you don't know what could happen over there. i've been reading these brochures. you can get robbed, molested, raped even."

"i'm going, adrian."

"you get lost on campus, ira. and you barely even know languages other than english."

"..."

"and bit of french. and a bit of german. and a bit of spanish. and a bit of portuguese."

"and i'm planning on taking mandarin. dude, i'm indian, it's my hometown, i was born there. i know the local languages and i know my way around the country."

"why are you going, then? your sister isn't coming with you."

"she's flying in later. our grandparents invited us to celebrate the...a-anniversary. also, holi is round the corner."

"ira, what anniversary?"

"..."

"..."

"uh. erm, it's their golden jubilee. fifty years of getting married. a big woah, right? i mean, they hated each other. it was a surprise when the first baby popped out. then another. then another. just kept coming. like dominos. or diarrhoea."

"the truth, ira."

"..."

"it's your dad's anniversary, isn't it?"

"..."

"i'm coming with you."

"the c-block is just around the corner, adrian. you can go back to your dorm, now."

"no, ira. i'm coming to india with you."