t w e n t y s e v e n : dusty rugs

"i'm sorry, adrian. i'll make it up to you somehow, i promise."

"..."

"you don't understand..."

"no, you don't understand, ira. for the first time in my life, i want to be there for someone, for you. your shoulder to cry on, your support. just like in those rom-com movies, or even the shitty disney ones.

"but this time, i don't want to save the damsel in distress, i just want to be the knight in the shining armour who comes riding on a horse. there is a difference. it's about me as much it is about the wailing girl."

"what if the damsel doesn't want to be saved, adrian?

"then she is either an attention seeker or she hasn't reached the breakeven point of desperation. everybody wants to be saved, ira. get that."

"..."

"..."

"f u c k . y o u . you bastard! you're not the one who saw him jump off the tenth floor, you're not the one who saw my mother fucking another man days after his death. and you have the fucking audacity to call me a fucking attention seeker? fuck you, adrian. fuck. you."

"oh, pull your shit together! you want to blame your mother? fine. set a date and confront her, humiliate her, even take revenge if you want to. you feel guilty about using your dad's money? fine. re-apply next year with your hard earned money. you blame yourself for not being able to save him? learn to accept that fact. just don't fucking bury it under the carpet."

"..."

"why the fuck are you laughing?"

"i don't blame myself, adrian."

"you don't?"

"of course, i don't. i blame h i m ."

"..."

"now tell me, adrian, how exactly do you get back at a person who is already buried six feet under?"

"how did your father die, ira?"