Monster

Meanwhile in Birmingham...

Finn burst into the office yelling for tommy.

'arthur beat a guy to blood pulp tom!' finn exclaimed.

'are they both alright? I mean alive?' tommy asked moving around his desk.

'when we pulled him off the guy wasn't breathing tom, hes dead.' Finn told her. 'and Arthur...'

'where is he?' tom started to head out.

'hes at home. I don't think hes okay tom.' Finn told him. 'polly has already spoken to him but I think he needs you...'

When tommy got to arthurs place he was sat alone starring into the fire. Tommy slammed the door as he entered.

'the fuck are you playing at eh?' tommy yelled coming between Arthur and the fire.

'Polly said I should've stuck with me medicine.' Arthur told them.'its like a fucking boat... full of heavy cargo like coal or iron...sometimes it slips to one end and when the boat tips I can feel it slipping.' Arthur told him. 'and I can feel the boat tipping but there aint nothing I can do about it... its like my fucking head is like a big fucking barge and its just drifting. In and out... in and out...'

'we've been home a long time now Arthur. Been home a long time . I thought you were alright...' tommy said not looking at him. He couldn't. he had failed his brother.

'well I don't think I am tommy.' He grabbed at his head, 'get this... take this fucking thing away from me.' he pulled off his gun and put it on the table.

'just fuck off Arthur, just fuck off. You know what ive had enough. Just fuck off.' Tommy told him calmly.

'what?' Arthur said confused, tommy spun around to face him finally.

''I'm supposed to treat you like a kid again eh?' tommy said getting real close to arthur. 'keep you away from guns and fucking rope now?'

'Thomas-'

'you think I haven't got enough on Arthur? You think I haven't got enough on?' Arthur was shaking, his eyes darting around the room.

'stop it, stop it.' Arthur said.

'the war is done. Shut the door on it shut the door on it like I did.' Tommy instructed.

'well I'm not fucking you!' Arthur yelled up on his feet he pushed tommy into the wall, hands around his brothers neck and tommy let him.

'look at yourself,' Thomas got the upper hand and spun Arthur around to see his reflection in the mirror behind him. 'look at yourself. Take a long hard fucking look at yourself.' Thomas emptied out arthurs gun and threw the bottle of rum into the fire it flared to life. Arthur sat back down transfixed on the fire.

'I'm a monster...' Arthur told tommy. 'I didn't mean to hurt him I lost control is all. I felt like I was back at the war. I didn't even hear them calling me name... I thought I heard guns going off... I'm so sorry. Tommy, tell them I'm sorry.'

'arthur look at me.' tommy told him. 'you are not a monster, do you hear me? you just need to get your fucking head on straight or end it proper.'

'What?' Arthur asked confused.

'John and I would very much like to split your shares of shelby company limited. So next time use a bullet.' Tommy told him.

'Oh fuck off!" Arthur said shaking his head as tommy left with a chuckle.