43. I am glad you are here

"Okay. I wanna run through it one more time." Emma said, standing up from the couch at the back of the stolen van. Everyone in the vehicle looked at her, and although the girl had went over the plan more than 5 times already, no one interrupted her when she started again.

"Phase one?" Emma looked at them with risen eyebrows, expecting an answer, just to make sure her friends knew step-by-step what is going to happen.

"We meet Erica at the playground." Her girlfriend responded. Most of her friends had changed into new clothes with added padding for protection, in case they were to face the bats or something worse while in the Upside Down. Robin was no excuse to that. The brunette had tailored her jacket and added leather strips, doing the same not only for her but for Billy and Eddie as well. Dustin, Steve, Emma and Nancy found some chain-like vests, that they were going to use instead.

"She will signal to Bella, Max and Lucas when we're ready." Nancy finished her friend's sentence and Emma nodded in agreement.

"Phase two?" Emma bit back a sob, knowing entirely well that this will be the phase where her sister would be risking her life.

"Bella baits Vecna." Eddie looked at her with equal worry.

"He will go after her, which will put him in his trance." Steve helped once he saw that his friend was unable to continue.

"Phase three?"

"Me, Eddie and Dustin draw the bats away." Billy began, looking to his left side to nod at the curly-haired boy.

"Four?" Emma asked again.

"We head into Vecna's newly bat-free lair, and.." Robin said, holding one of their DIY bombs and slightly moving it in her arms, "...flambé."

"Good." The brunette sighed, "Nobody moves on to the next phase until we've all copied. Nobody deviates or alternates the plan, no matter what. Understood?"

"Understood." Everyone agreed at the same time, some tensing up once Emma had finished hopefully the last explanation of the plan.

With that, they made their way out of the vehicle that was parked at a 20 meter distance away from Eddie's trailer. They ran to the gate, making sure that everyone was staying together. Steve was the first that got there, opening the door and allowing everyone inside, immediately greeted by the red light, emitting from the gate.

"Close the door." Emma ordered, placing the shotgun, that was in her hands, on her back. Dustin immediately complied, as he was being the last to join them.

"Be careful." Dustin looked at Steve and he bumped his fist, thanking him, before he climbed up the rope. With a barely distinguishable grunt, he placed his feet on the floor in the Upside Down and shrugged before looking up to them.

"What does he want us to do, applaud?" Robin muttered sarcastically, looking at Emma and Nancy that remained silent, just looking back at her.

"All right." Steve placed a mattress below the rope so that everyone can follow his example. And they wasted no time in doing that. Robin helped Emma and Nancy to go, before crossing the two worlds herself. Eddie and Billy copied their movements, first allowing Dustin to go.

"Let's go." Emma said, helping Billy to get up and helping him attach the spear to his back. She opened the door, taking careful steps in the dark world in front of her. Absolutely nothing changed from the last time they were there. The red storm even seemed to get darker with little lightnings present every now and then.

"Hey, guys, listen." Steve said, looking back at Eddie, Dustin and Billy, "If things here start to go south, I mean, at all, you abort. Okay? Draw the attention of the bats. Keep 'em busy for a minute or two. We will take care of Vecna. Don't try to be cute or be a hero or something. Okay? You guys are just—"