{Chapter 39}

....

....

.....

Miray stirred from her sleep, feeling stiff and achy.

Pain.

Pain spiraled through her body, and a low whimper escaped her mouth.

Cold.

The bed was unusually cold and hard, sending a shiver down her spine.

Her eyes fluttered open and shut, then opened again, feeling confused. Where was she?

Utter darkness.

Her heart picked up, and her hand extended warily to where she hoped Damian was still lying next to her, they slept together yesterday.

A moment of panic gripped her when all she could feel was the hard and cold floor surface. Miray realized she wasn't lying in bed but rather on the ground.

She started shaking in fear as her mind brought up the horrible memory of when she was locked in the basement.

Was she locked in the basement again? The thought sent chills running down her spine, and an involuntary whimper escaped her lips.

Luke, Damian, Vince, Noah, please... Unable to scream, Miray prayed her brothers would hear her suppressed screaming shouts. She closed her eyes and prayed fervently for someone to help her.

She sat still without moving. Her eyes darted from one place to another, seeking any movement, then closed them.

Clank,

Clank,

Clank,

What was this sound?

She opened her eyes and stared into the darkness, frightened to death to move, make a sound, or even take a breath. She could feel nothing but blind terror.

Moans of pain.

Miray stilled. Her breaths quickened, and her heart pounded wildly. Was someone crying?

Clank.

Miray was sure she wasn't alone, which sent her into a state of terror.

She remained motionless for a few minutes, waiting for anything to happen... but nothing happened.

Panicked in the darkness and with tears in her eyes, Miray got to her feet and stood up.

She was trembling uncontrollably and felt sick to her stomach, but she wanted to find her brothers, she wanted out of here. 

Miray's eyes adjusted to the darkness, and she could now see that, indeed, she was in a basement. But not their basement... Her heart lurched and pounded unmercifully at that new piece of information.

This basement was worse, the place seemed dingy, stingy, and gloomier.

Moans of pain.

Shaking and terrified, Miray nonetheless walked toward the noise. There was something familiar about the sound, and Miray was lured toward it.