{Chapter 53}

The brothers were losing their minds.

It's been 35 min since Miray disappeared, and they still couldn't find her yet.

Luke had already called the police, and they assured him that they'd be there in around 10 min.

"What should we do now?" Damian asked, pulling his hair back frustratedly.

He wanted to break down...

He wanted to fall on his knees, to shout and cry...

He wanted Miray.

How could they lose their sister in the middle of a forest? How could they do this to her?

Was she okay? Was she scared? Was she crying? Was she hurt? Was she alone...? For some reason, Damian hoped Miray had just lost her way and wasn't... kidna-

Oh no, please God... he thought desperately. He could feel sweat starting to prick his palms again.

"Let's broaden our search scope, we'll go in the same direction as last time, but this time let's get further. The police are on the way, l-let's stay positive," Luke couldn't help the cracks in his voice as he gave his brother's shoulder a gentle squeeze.

They were all absolutely shattered, but Luke didn't allow himself to break. He needed to be strong, he needed to find his sister. He can break down later... when they find Miray and bring her back home. 

His mind swam, each thought was scarier, more frightening than its predecessor.

Miray's voice was playing like a broken record over and over again in his head.

God, he missed her.

Alex watched the brothers with sadness clouding his feature. His heart clenched when he noticed the tears gathering at the corners of his friend's eyes.

He had never seen his friend this broken, this helpless, this vulnerable...

"Dammit," Vince growled frustratingly, his fingers burying into his hair, clinging tightly to his soft strands. "Let's w-" before he could finish his sentence, a hesitant voice interrupted.

"E-excuse me,"

Everyone looked at the girl who was panting and a bit pale like she had just seen a ghost. When she didn't say anything, everyone looked away, not having the time for anyone's nonsense except for Luke, who stared at her interestingly.

"Yes?" Luke asked while his brothers started making their plan, not paying attention to them.

"A-are you searching for a girl named Miray?" the girl asked, nervously fiddling with the hem of her shirt.

Everyone's head snapped toward her, and suddenly, they all towered over her, eyes bugging out.

"Have you seen her?"

"Where is she?"

"How do you know her name?"

"Did you meet her?"

The girl took a step back, feeling a bit overwhelmed, "I-I ... actually... I've-" she stuttered, not able to form a complete sentence. She felt so guilty and embarrassed for running away and leaving the kid alone.

"Would you just talk already?!!! Where is she?" Vince shouted frustratingly, a note of irritation creeping into his voice.

Damian pulled his brother back when the girl flinched, "Calm down! Can you please tell us where you found her?" he repeated, sounding calmer, though his hands were trembling... and so was his heart.