{Chapter 45}

Hey! 💜

Vince's smile faded when he pulled back, only now noticing the band-aid. "What happened?" he questioned, his expression screwed up in dismay as his thumb caressed her cheek faintly.

Miray kept quiet for a few seconds, searching for a believable story. Then, she raised her finger and smiled sheepishly, "Miray's nails were bad, and it scratched my cheek." She pouted dramatically, casting her huge, doe-like eyes up at him.

"But Damian helped Miray cut the bad nail and covered the scar," she added when she saw the worried and angry look in her brother's eyes.

Miray remembered what Damian told her, how Vince would feel more hurt if he knew that his mom was the reason for the cut. Hence, she chose to lie - like always.

Vince grimaced, and it looked like he believed her story, "Does it hurt?" he breathed, stroking her cheek gently.

Miray smiled, "No! Damian put magical cream, and it doesn't hurt anymore," she reassured.

Vince pulled her forward, hugged her, then sighed, "You need to be more careful," he whispered, burying his face in her hair.

Miray hummed, nuzzling her cheek against his collarbones.

A few moments passed when Miray finally pulled away, her eyes roving his face, then landing on his cheek, the same cheek he got slapped at.

She raised her hand and caressed it, lower lip jutting out in a pout. "Does it hurt?" she asked, voice quiet and worried as her eyes found his.

For a moment, Vince was frozen and didn't know what to say. He kinda felt ashamed that his sister witnessed that... "No, no, it doesn't." he breathed, voice strangled.

Miray leaned in and kissed his cheek, then she smiled, eyes twinkling, "That woman can't hurt V anymore, Miray bit her hand so hard," She said proudly, making a show of roaring like a cute lion.

Vince felt his heart stop for a few seconds, then it skyrocketed, "W-what?" he stammered in shock. "You did what?" he asked again, his voice a panicked whisper.

Miray's confidence suddenly vanished, and she avoided his eyes, her heart hammered against her chest in terror. She kinda forgot that the woman was his mom... Of course, he's going to be angry. Will he hate her for biting his mom? But his mom hurt him first...

"Miray is sorry," Miray apologized, tears springing to her eyes again.

Vince didn't say anything, he just stood up - carrying his sister with him - and stormed to the bathroom.

He placed Miray on the counter and brought her toothbrush - Miray had a toothbrush in all her brother's rooms.

"Open your mouth," Vince's frustration wasbuilding in his voice as he commanded.

Miray did as she was told and opened her mouth, trying her best not to cry.

Vince didn't say anything and started cleaning her teeth, his face bright red in anger.

Miray couldn't take it anymore, the look in Vince's eyes was not familiar, and the way he brushed her teeth wasn't gentle either, and she just burst into tears.

Vince froze, only now noticing Miray's tears. "Hey, hey, what's wrong? Did I hurt you? I'm sorry I wasn't thinking straight." He rushed and washed her mouth and face, mumbling apologizes.

"V is angry at Miray?" Miray sniffled, her voice panicked and pained, and Vince felt his heart sink.

 "What? I'm not angry at you. You shouldn't bite her, that was wrong." He cupped her face hurriedly when he saw her face crumble, "Not because I care about her, but because of you. What if she was sick and you got infected?" He choked, feeling his throat tighten at the thought.