{Chapter 71}

The two siblings finally joined the others, feeling way better.
The news was indeed too heavy, too hard to swallow for Vince. But knowing that his brother wasn't just watching and had his own reasons to take things easy... the fact that his brothers cared as much as he did made him calm down a bit.

Damian and Steve sighed in relief when they saw the two brothers approaching them, looking much calmer and composed.

As everyone stood near the cars, Miray scooted next to Ren, staring down at the ground.

"Right..." Luke started, sharing a worried look with his siblings before he looked at his sister, who seemed to avoid meeting anyone's gaze. "Well, it's time to leave... we will meet at the aquarium... Rei, let's go, baby," he added softly.

Miray shifted from one foot to the other, "...don't wanna," she muttered, still avoiding his gaze.

Worry bloomed in the siblings' chests, and they shared another worried look, though it seemed like no one had heard Miray's words, "What's wrong, baby, I couldn't hear you..." Luke crouched down until he was at eye level with her.

Miray took a step back closer to Ren and Steve, her hand reaching to hold Ren's, whose hand moved quickly to meet hers in the middle. "Miray wanna go with Ren," she whispered, biting her lower lip nervously. 

Silence.

The brothers exchanged one of their silent looks over Miray's head, contemplating their next move.

Vince looked like he wanted to argue, but he wasn't sure what to say that wouldn't make his sister more upset.

It's not like they didn't trust Steven. He was one of the few people whom they trusted the most... However, what bothered the brothers was the fact that their sister was distancing herself from them.

The fact that she didn't feel comfortable with them anymore...

Ren's hand tightened around hers instinctively, and he looked at Steve, silently asking him to interfere. He didn't like how anxious and scared his friend was.

"Oh, what a pleasure... Well, guys, I'm sorry, but Miray is ours for today." Steve announced, silently asking Luke to let it go.

Luke cleared his throat, "Ehm, yeah, sure... whatever you like, love." He nodded, massaging the back of his neck.

"Right, let's go then," Steve said, noticing how no one moved from their spot.

The boys sighed and watched with heavy hearts as their sister walked with Ren, dragging Rayan with her.

Steve was about to carry Miray to help her ride his car when Ren intervened, "I can help her," he said childishly, feeling a brief flash of jealousy.

Steve almost laughed at how cute his brother sounded when he was jealous. "The car is too high, though... are you sure you guys don't need help." Steve countered, trying his best not to burst out laughing.

"Adequately," Ren retorted stubbornly, helping Miray get into the car.

It took more time and effort, but they succeeded regardless.

Rayan sat behind Steve, next to him Ren, then Miray. Meanwhile, in Luke's car, Luke drove, Damian sat next to him while Noah and Vince were in the back seats.

Before starting the engine, Steve turned to look at Miray and grinned, "Well, thanks for choosing us today, I hope you'll enjoy the trip."

Miray offered a small smile.