Answered Prayers

++Hey Guys. Started writing this back in May but only shared with 2 people. welp now I'm sharing it with you all. Enjoy++

Fatima wakes up drenched in a cold sweat. She looks around the room trying to gather herself. Still struggling to catch her breath, she sits up on her side of the bed. "it was just a dream, it was just a dream" she says this a few more times. As her breath starts to steady, she looks behind her over to Zac's side of the bed and grabs the pillow. She inhales deeply as she squeezes his pillow. Tears fill her eyes for the third night in a row. She lays herself back down and replays their last conversation in her head.

Babe, I'm going to play ball tonight with the guys. I should be home around 1.

Okay babe. I was going to come home and cook but I'll probably meet up with Andi for a drink. Don't really feel like being home alone.

What's going on? Do you want me to come home?

No babe. Go enjoy the game. I just have some shit to sort through, but everything is okay. I'll be fine. I'll text you when I get with Andi.

Tima, You sure?

Yes, babe. Everything is good.

Okay, make sure you text me when you get there and when you get home. Be safe, I love you.

Of course. I love you too. Talk to you later.

Fatima can hear Zac's voice as if he were sitting right beside her. Just as the tears started to well in her eyes once more, the phone rang. Fatima looks at the clock. It's 3 am.

Mrs. Taylor, this is Nurse Evelyn at Northside Hospital. The nurse's Voice was too Upbeat for her to be delivering anything other than good news. Fatima shoots up. Yes?

He's awake and asking for you.

Fatima ran to the door so quickly that she barely realized she was only wearing a T-shirt. Quickly, she returned to her bedroom and threw on a pair of Zac's sweatpants draped across the chair in the corner. And out the door she ran, grabbing her purse and keys on the way out.

Fatima stands in the doorway of Zac's hospital room wearing the biggest smile her face could carry. Tears ran down her cheeks as she stared into the open eyes of her Husband.

"Never have I seen a sight so beautiful! Have you Doc?" Zac smiles at his wife. His heart aches in his chest for her. He can only imagine the agony she'd been going through these last few days. Still, he could not wait to hold her and reassure her that everything was going to be fine.

Fatima steps into the room and heads toward her husband's bedside. Hi baby, is all she can get out without crying. Her eyes begin to roam his body, taking in all the bandages to his face and side.

"Baby." Fatima sighs as her palm gently caresses Zac's cheek.

"Hey baby." Zac returns through the pain. "How can you possibly be so sexy right now? Doc, You may have to give us a min." Zac jokes, lightening the somber moment.

The Doctor stands and introduces himself. "Mrs. Taylor, I am Dr. Khan. It is very nice to meet you. In the hour that your husband has been awake, he has been bragging about you. Fatima Shakes his hand. Let me tell you what's going on so you can be up to speed on your husband's treatment.

As You know, when he arrived to the hospital he was badly injured in the crash. We were able to remove all the rebar impaling his abdomen, but he lost a lot of blood. Thankfully there was no major damage to his major organs. His arm and wrist should heal completely in about six weeks and the scarring on his face is mostly superficial. We were worried about the swelling on his brain but after my initial exam, I am almost certain that the rest his body received while in the coma preserved all his cognitive functions. We will be conducting an MRI and a CT exam shortly to confirm, but I think it is safe to say that your husband is truly a lucky man."