Family Feud

The next morning Karen is fuming. She knows that Zac saw her message. He should have called by now. Fresh out of patience, Karen dials Zac's number. He answers on the third ring.

"Zac?"

"Yea Karen, Wassup?"

"I know you got my message."

"yea, I got it. What's up?

Karen's frustration is growing "what do you mean what's up? You're the father!"

"Karen, I will be scheduling a DNA test of my own. I will let you know the results and then and only then, will we speak about what Is next."

"Wow Zac, Really? This is what we doing?" Karen responds.

"Yes, Karen. It is."

"wow Zac, she got your nose that open that you can't even think for yaself now? You know Zion is your son!"

"Karen get off my phone. I'll call you." Zac disconnects the phone.

Karen is staring at her phone in disbelief for a moment and then facetimes Andi.

"Hey girl" Andi answers in a pleasant tone.

"I need a family lawyer!" Karen says bluntly

"umm.. what? Karen what are you talking about?

Karen starts rambling off the details about Zac and the paternity test and Aaron's results.

"Karen, take a beat. You cannot be mad at Zac for wanting to be sure. You have given him a reason to doubt you. You have to respect that"

"Andi I swear I Don't even know why I still call you. How are you all of a sudden team Zac, like you don't know what he put me through and now that he's dating your assistant, he's this perfect angel all of a sudden."

"Karen." Andi gives her a knowing look. "you know they're married. And Zac is far from Mr. Perfect and I know what he did to you. And for that I will never forget. But that's not who he is anymore and I see that. I'm not going to be mean to them because of this though. The same way I'm not going to treat you differently for your situation. We all make mistakes. I'm Switzerland. I Love you Karen and I will always be your friend, part of being a real friend is being honest with you.

"Whatever Andi"

"No, Karen. Its not whatever. Remember the last time you involved the law prematurely; he went to jail over something he didn't do. So let's just wait. I know he's going to do the right thing.

"I wouldn't hold my breath. Andi, I gotta go."

Karen. I know you're just tryna get rid of me and that's fine. But please, just wait. I love you girl"

"Bye, I love you too." Karen disconnects the call.

"Karen calling you this early in the morning will never sit well with me" Fatima states still under the blankets with her eyes closed.

"trust me babe. I know." Zac retorts. "Do you have plans today?

Fatima thinks for a moment. "outside of taking you to Physical therapy, I have to stop by the police station to pick up your accident report for the insurance company, and I was considering an invitation to lunch."

Zac looks at Fatima with skepticism. "A lunch date with whom?"

"Don't look at me like that. It's just Andi and Danni."

Zac rolls his eyes. "I know you all are cool, but babe please keep them out of our business. They are already in it too much."

"Have I been telling them our business? I got this. Besides, I may not even go. I am exhausted. You've been tossing and turning in your sleep again."

"I have. I'm sorry."

"its fine, I know how stressed you've been."

"How about you and I go to lunch after my appointment? Tell them you can't make it."

"How about we play it by ear today? You may be tired after your appointment."

"Tima. They're doing therapy on my arm. I'll be fine. And what kind of therapy is this going to be considering I'm still in my cast?

"I don't know, but we gotta be there in two hours so let's get out this bed and start getting ready."

Fatima emerges from under the covers. Zac is staring at her.

"Damn."

"what was that for?" Fatima asks

Zac looks at her in admiration. "I didn't think you could be more beautiful, but pregnancy makes you glow"

"Boy! I'm one hour pregnant" Fatima says laughing. "come on" she says as she reaches out to help him off the edge of the bed.

He kisses her as he stands.

"Oh no you won't. We have somewhere to be" Fatima playfully swats her husband as she prances into the closet for their clothing. Zac heads to the bathroom to get ready.

"Hey, are you ready to go? I'm five minutes away" Aaron speaks into his car speaker.

"yea. I'll be out from when you get here" Karen responds. "thank you for taking me."

"no problem. Ill be there in a sec." Aaron disconnects the call.

Aaron spots Karen as he turns onto her street. He double parks, runs around to the passenger side, and opens the door for her.

Karen thanks him as he reenters the car.

"It's no problem" Aaron responds flatly.

Karen and Aaron spend the entire twenty-minute drive to her doctor's office in silence. When they arrive, Aaron announces that he will be waiting for her in the parking lot to return.

Karen considers responding but decides against it and exits the car.

Upstairs, the waiting room is empty to Karen's surprise. The nurse calls her back immediately.

"Ms. Mott, you may come back now."

Karen walks down the hall into an exam room.

"Ms. Mott. Go ahead and change and the doctor will be in with you shortly"

Karen closes the exam room door and changes into the gown waiting on her table. There is a knock on the door just as she gets seated on the exam table.

"Come in" she announces.

"Hi Ms. Mott. How are you feeling today? Asks Dr. Katori

"I have been better"

Dr. Katori nods her head understanding that Karen has been through a lot in the last week.

"How is the pain?"

Karen and her OB/GYN discuss her care and scheduled her to return the next day for bloodwork.

"The lab is unfortunately closed today, and I'll be out of the office tomorrow but you can stop by anytime between 12 pm and 3 pm and they'll take you straight away."

"oh one more question. Am I cleared to drive?"

"let's see the results of your bloodwork and go from there."

Karen is visibly frustrated but agrees. The doctor leaves the room and Karen begins to redress. Just as she does, the hospital calls.

"Good morning Ms. Mott. This is Nurse Evelyn. I'm one of the nurses caring for Zion today."

"is he ok?" Karen asked panicked.