Mommy's Baby....

Fatima enters her husband's new room. He's lying in bed with his head turned just staring out the window. He doesn't hear his wife enter. She reaches his bedside and snaps him out of his trance. When their eyes meet, she can see that he'd been crying.

"Hey Mrs. Taylor." Zac says trying to muster up a smile.

Hey, Fatima returns with even less energy as she takes a seat on the side of his bed.

Baby. Zac starts as he reaches for her hand. "I'm so sorry. All I've wanted to do since the day we met was show you that I am the man you saw in me. I do not deserve you. I am so sorry for all of this with Karen and the pregnancy and drama that brought. I'm sorry for scaring you with my accident and I'm sorry you had to deal with all of this today. I am so grateful for you, and I promise to spend the rest of our lives making this right. I will never put you in this situation again. I swear that to you."

Fatima wipes away the tears rolling down her cheeks. "Zac... I know who you are. I know the man I married. You don't have to apologize for the things you had no control over. And I have already forgiven you for the things that happened before we were committed. We will figure this all out and we will do It together. For as long as you've got me, I've got you.

Zac stares lovingly into his wife's eyes. He smiles as he asks her rhetorically "Wow did I get so damn lucky?"

Before Fatima could answer a nurse and 3 students entered his hospital room.

Hi, Mr. Taylor. My name is Christine, I'll be your nurse this evening. These are nursing students, they're here observing today. I hope you don't mind.

No, it's cool. This is my wife, Fatima.

Fatima greets the crowd, and the nurse begins her examination of Zac.

I am just here to draw some blood and change the bandage on your abdomen.

Fatima watches as the nurse removes the old bandages from Zac, but suddenly becomes nauseated and steps outside while she finishes.

Fatima's cell rings. It is Danni.

Hey Danni, wassup?

Hey girl, just checking on you. You good?

Thanks girl. Yea, I'm good. I'm upstairs in Zac's new room. Well, I'm in the hall while they change his bandages. Any news on Karen or the baby?

Sabrina is in the PICU sitting with him. Karen is still asleep. Aaron spoke to the nursing staff and they agreed to let him stay with her tonight. How's Zac?

He's good. The doctor feels he may be able to come home in a few days if he remains fever free. That means there is no infection and that he can go home.

That's good to hear. Have you guys discussed .. never mind. Now isn't the time.

Yea. We're gonna talk about it when the nurses leave. Has Aaron mentioned anything?

The preacher requested a DNA test but he hasn't been to see the baby yet. He's been crying and praying all day. I had to get out of there. Felt like God could smell the weed on me.

Fatima let out a light chuckle. "Girl, you're a trip.

The nurse and students exit Zac's room.

Danni, they're done with Zac, imma call you back in a few.

Fatima reenters.

Babe. We need to talk about a few things. I want you to give me your honest thoughts. Don't hold back.

Ok Tima, what's up? Zac tries to sit up in bed but winces at the pain.

Do you want to go see the baby?

Yes. I'd like to. I've been thinking about it and I'd feel horrible if he turns out to be mine and I haven't. Is that ok with you?

Yes, it is. Would you also like to visit Karen?

That one, I'm unsure about. Zac Admits. I know we went through hell these past few months with all that's going on and I am for sure not in love with her but I also can't just pretend like I don't care.

I know that you care and I understand. I think you should go see her. If something happens and you don't, you'll never be free. If you're worried about how I feel, I'm good. I know where your heart lies.

I don't know babe. I hear you, I'll think about it. But am I an asshole for wanting to do the DNA test now?

Zac, we've waited this long. Give all of y'all a chance to heal. Literally, all three of you are in the hospital. There is no rush. Whether we find out today or next week, the answer won't change.

I hear you babe, I do. I'm just ready for all of this to be settled once and for all. Is Aaron here?

Yes. We ran into each other in the lobby. Danni told me he's sitting with Karen. She also said he already requested a DNA test so you may not even have to.

Nah. I need to see it in writing. Zachary Taylor is or is not the father. Zac does his best Maury impersonation.

Ok babe, Well let me see if I can get a nurse to take you downstairs to see him.

I don't wanna see that man!

No babe! The baby, not Aaron. Fatima taps Zac on the shoulder. But the two of you should sit down and talk. If this is your baby, he's going to be part of his life too. And if Karen and I can find a way to be cordial after all the bull she put us through, so can the two of you.

we not doing this today Tima, Let it go.

Fatima rolls her eyes and goes to stand. Zac pulls her back down.

Babe. I'm not trying to fight today. Especially not with you. It's getting late. Please find out if I can see the baby and we will take it from there.

Fatima starts towards the door and there is a knock.

Danni, Sabrina and Andi enters Zac's room carrying a bouquet of colorful flowers.

Hey Zac! Says Sabrina full of energy

Hey Sabrina, hey Andi. What y'all doing up here? Ask Zac

We wanted to come and say hello. Glad you're doing better.

The group engages in light conversation and Fatima heads to the nurse's station. She explains the situation to the nurse and arranges for them to take Zac down to the PICU. Fatima returns with the news and the room grows silent.