.....Daddy's Maybe

Karen groans and her eyes, sensitive to the light flutter open. She's been out of surgery about 6 hours now and finally coming to. Aaron hears her and reaches for her hand.

"Hey you." he says gently.

Karen's hand travels frantically to her stomach

"Wait, wait, wait, calm down! The baby is fine. He is ok." Aaron reassures Karen before she could even speak.

Karen clears her throat as Aaron presses the call button for the nurse.

Aaron. What Happened? When did you get here?

Before Aaron could explain the events of the day, in walked two nurses.

Good evening Ms. Mott. How are you feeling? Ask one nurse while the other is checking her vitals.

Where is my baby?

Your baby was delivered earlier today. He is currently in the PICU. Because he was delivered so early, he's receiving treatments to help mature his lungs. He is a strong boy and otherwise healthy. We are going to take you to see him as soon as we are done here.

Ms. Mott, when your friend brought you in you had lost a lot of blood. The doctors did everything they could to deliver your baby safely and stop the bleeding. While in surgery they discovered that your placenta had torn away from your uterus and the damage was too extensive to repair. I'm sorry Ms. Mott but in order to stop the bleeding and save your life, the doctors performed a full hysterectomy.

A hysterectomy? Karen repeated. "that means I'll never be able to have more babies"

Yes, ma'am. The procedure was successful, and your scarring should heal in about six weeks. But You have a beautiful baby boy waiting to meet you.

Karen wailed at the news and Aaron tried desperately to console her.

The nurses exited the room at Aaron's request.

He continues to hold her as she processes the news. Finally, she is calm, and he releases her from his grasp.

Have you seen him yet? She asks

No, I haven't. I wanted to wait for you. Aaron lied.

But Karen, I did have them perform a DNA test on us. The results won't be back for a few days, but I wanted you to know. And whatever the results say, I'm not leaving. I love you and I love that baby.

Karen stares angrily at Aaron.

You had him tested and you haven't even gone to see him?

I know It sounds crazy, I was praying to God to bring you through this and He kept telling me that I needed to..

Karen cut Aaron off before he could finish. "take me to see my baby now please"

Ok. Aaron called for the nurse to help Karen into a wheelchair. They rolled her into the elevator and down one floor to the PICU.

As she exited, She saw Fatima waiting anxiously near the entry doors.

"Karen!" Fatima sighs a breath of relief.

"Fatima, thank you. Aaron told me what you did. I really don't remember much of it. But thank you."

Fatima squeezes Karen's outstretched hand and the ladies share a silent moment of gratitude and relief.

The nurse continues to wheel Karen into the PICU where she notices Zac staring silently through the glass window divider to the room. Karen asks the nurse to roll him over to him.