The Long Road to Recovery

Fatima has been back at the hospital for about an hour. Zac had noticed the shift in her demeanor.

Babe is everything OK. ask Zac

Yeah, why do you ask?

No reason. Zac drops the subject but makes a mental note to keep an eye on Fatima.

Fatima can tell that Zac has noticed something is off and she tries her best to play it off.

I'm tired babe. says Fatima.

The nurses made you a bed. Why don't you lay down and try to get some rest? Zac asks as he sets up his new phone

In walks Dr. Khan.

What's up doc? Please tell me I get to go home.

Actually, Mr. Taylor, I am here to tell you exactly that. Since every test we've run has come back within normal ranges, we don't see any real reason to keep you here past tomorrow. We can see that you have the necessary support at home. So, as long as you are sure to attend every appointment and therapy, we have prescribed to you, you are free to go in the morning.

Zac throws up his fist in victory. Thanks Doc!

Uh. Doc before you go. My ex-girlfriend was admitted today and gave birth to potentially my son. Who can I speak to that can arrange a paternity test?

Dr. Khan's face shows concern, But he answers Zac's question.

Well Mr. Taylor, you can ask the child's mother to sign a release form for the child's sample to be taken. If she agrees, we can take a sample from each of you and send it away for diagnostic comparison. Another option is purchasing your own kit from the pharmacy and taking the samples on your own and sending them to be tested.

Doc, Is there any way I could do this without the mother's Knowledge? Asks Zac with growing frustration. The baby is in the Preemie Intensive care unit and the mother just got out surgery.

Truthfully, yes. It is not my recommendation though. But under extreme circumstances, a test can be performed without permission or court order.

Zac thanks the doctor and tells him he will let him know what he decides. Dr. Khan leaves the couple to discuss.

Babe, I know you want to know and you deserve to know. Hell, I wanna know! But if this is gonna cause any more drama, I think we should just wait and do it properly. Fatima explains.

Zac inhales deeply. You're right babe. I just want it to be over with.

Well. In other news, I'm glad you're gonna be coming home tomorrow. Home doesn't feel like home without you. Especially the bed. I haven't been able to sleep for the last three nights. Fatima admits.

Zac smiles in a sly fashion. 'You've missed me in our bed" he glances back at her ass

Boy stop! Fatima chuckles. But yes. I have. When you get home, Nurse Fatima is on it!

You gonna get one of those nurse outfits for me?

Fatima winks at Zac. "Maybe I will"

Bring ya fine ass here and stop playing with me.

Fatima walks over to Zac and gently kisses his forehead then lays another soft kiss on his lips. I'm glad you're ok. She whispered in relief.

"Im so sorry I scared you babe."

"Babe. I'm gonna head home and clean up a little before you get discharged tomorrow. The bedroom is a mess.

"Woman if you think im spending another night without you, you buggin! Tomorrow we will call a cleaning service and they'll handle that "

Fatima chuckles. "Ok. Babe. Whatever you want"

Whatever? Zac ask

Zac! Quit! Fatima exclaims through laughter.

Zac and Fatima get cozy for the rest of the night.

**

Downstairs. Karen is replaying the day's events in her head as she lies in her hospital bed. There's a knock on her room door. In walks Ms. Lisa

"Oh baby." Lisa says in a hushed tone. She walks over to Karen and embraces her tightly.

''Momma, what are you doing here? Who called you?" shocked to see her mother, Karen sits upright in bed

"What do you mean who called me? It wasn't you that's for sure." Lisa replies with a hint of frustration. "Why did I have to hear from the girls that you had a baby. I didn't even know you were pregnant!"

"Momma." Karen lowers her head in embarrassment. "I didn't tell you because there was so much going on. I just needed space to figure it out. I didn't want to bother you with my mess."

"Karen pick your head. You are MY child. There is nothing that you could tell me that you should be embarrassed about! I will always be there to support you however you need. I thought you knew that"

"I know momma and I am sorry". Karen is crying.

"Don't be sorry. Tell me what happened. The girls gave me the spark notes version. And where is Aaron? Hell, where is Zac? I know he's here, but why isn't he HERE?

Karen begins telling Lisa all that she missed over the last 8 months when another knock interrupts the pair. It is the Doctor coming to check on Karen.

"Ms. Mott, my name is Dr. Jackson. I am the doctor who performed your surgery. How are you feeling? I'd like to discuss a few sensitive things with you." Dr. Jackson looks over to Lisa. "is it ok if I speak about this in front of your guest?

Karen informs the doctor who Lisa is and gives her permission to continue with the news.

"As you know after we delivered your son, you continued to lose a great deal of blood which forced us to take drastic measures to give you the very best chance of survival. The hysterectomy we performed successfully stopped the bleeding thankfully. While we were removing your uterus we noticed something else. A mass on your cervix. We had it tested in the pathology lab and it turns out that you had stage one cervical cancer. My team and I were able to remove the entire tumor and there was no other indications of cancer. Still, we'd like for you to meet with an oncologist out of an abundance of precaution. That doctor will be in to see you this afternoon. We have both reviewed all your blood work and can say with confidence that everything else looks perfectly normal. It is lucky that we caught it so early. I know this is a lot of information and please feel free to ask any questions you may have.

"cervical cancer" Ms. Lisa repeats dumbfounded.

"Yes, but again we were able to remove it all. As of right now your daughter is cancer free. The oncologist would like to run a few test so we may have definitive proof.

"Okay" was all that Karen could process.

The Doctor bid the ladies goodbye and Karen was left with her mother to now process even more news.