The next day

Fatima knew she should tell Zac that she was still having pain but she didn't want him to stress. They weren't as frequent as they were the night before so she told herself that if they didn't fully subside, she would tell him. But for now, she was going to just ride it out.

She and Phoenix were cuddled on the couch when Zac got back with the tacos but he wasn't alone.

"Hey baby, guess who I found outside?" Zac said as he walked into the house. Jake followed in behind him.

"Hey Fatima." Jake said as he closed the door behind them. Fatima and Jake's relationship had recovered over the months. He was still sure to be on his best behavior when in her presence though.

"Hey Jake. It's good to see you. Have you met My best friend before?" Fatima asked unable to be certain.

"No. We haven't." Jake said extending his hand to Phoenix. "Hey, I'm Jake. Nice to meet you."

"Phoenix. Pleasure is mine." Phoenix returned with a smile shaking his hand.

"Aht! Aht! Zac says slapping their hands and ending their handshake. "Chill on that friendly shit"

Everyone looks at Zac.

"Zac. Cut it out." Fatima warns. "What brings you by Jake?"

"Zac told me that you guys had a long night, so I wanted to drop off some groceries and trash magazines to keep you entertained while stuck in the house. My sister went through this a few years back with my niece, so I hope it helps."

"That was sweet of you. Thank you. Zac can you go help him bring the groceries in, please?

"He's not sweet. Don't fall for it." Zac teased

"Oh Stop and go help him!"

"Oh I see what it is. You lightskinned folks love sticking up for each other." Zac said dramatically rolling his eyes and walking out.

Fatima tosses a couch pillow at him. "Go boy!"

Fatima waits for Zac to exit and turns to face Phoenix. "I saw that!"

"Girl that man is fine! How they know each other?"

"That's one of Zac's closest friends and business partner. He's also a hedge fund manager. He helped Zac out when he first got paid."

"Oh, so he's paid." Phoenix was intrigued

"I see that look on your face. Zac is gonna kick ya ass. But do you sis!"

The guys come back inside carrying a bunch of bags

"And he's thoughtful." Whispered Phoenix to Fatima.

"Well, I'm gonna get outta here." Jake announced "Fatima feel better. Can't wait to meet LT." (little Taylor) "Phoenix. It was a pleasure meeting you. "He said letting his words linger briefly as he held her gaze.

"Hope to see you again soon" she responded matching his energy

Fatima broke the silence "Phoenix. Can you get me that thing I left in your car." Fatima said hoping her friend would catch her drift.

"Phoenix was puzzled for a second before it clicked. "Yea absolutely. Jake, You mind walking me to my car?" she said not waiting for his answer, instead extending her hand for him to assist her off the couch.

They walked towards the door. Phoenix looked back at Fatima and winked

"Where the hell they going?" Zac said reentering the living room after putting away the groceries.

"Leave them grown folks alone." Fatima laughed

Zac takes a seat beside Fatima on the couch and brings her legs up across his lap. "she's going to ruin his life" he says shaking his head.

"Don't do that. Leave her alone. She's a good girl, just been through a lot." Fatima said softly, enjoying her foot rub.

"Fatima, that man is only half black. He's not gonna be able to recover from this! Zac says as phoenix walks back inside the house smiling holding an umbrella.

She outstretches her arm offering Fatima the pink stripped umbrella. Fatima looks at her confused.

"This is the THING you wanted from my car." She says winking at Fatima

Fatima catches on. "Oh yes, thanks girl."

"Y'all so full of shit. Phoenix go easy on him please." Zac pleads seriously. Not waiting on a response to his request he asks about food. "Fatima where do you want to eat so I can bring you this food? I'm about to go to the gym.

"We'll eat in here since we're gonna be folding and whatnot. Lemme go pee." Fatima stated. She felt some fluid and thought it could be from the baby sitting on her bladder making her tinkle just a little.

Phoenix reached out for Fatima to help her off the couch when Zac noticed it. The blood stain coming through her cream-colored leggings. "Babe. You're bleeding!"

Fatima's heart fell into her stomach as she walked as fast as she could to the guest bathroom to check for herself. Maybe she should have mentioned the pain to her husband afterall.

Zac didn't wait for her to return. He ran upstairs and got her hospital bag and instructed Phoenix to call the OB. He also grabbed her a new pair of pants and a blanket and ran to the car to drop the items off. He came back just as she was coming out the bathroom.

The tears fell down her face. "Don't cry hunny. Everything is going to be fine. Phoenix is already on the phone with your doctor and he's going to be waiting on us at the door." Zac said as he ushered her out the door.

Zac ran through every red light they encountered. Nothing else mattered except getting Fatima and their unborn child to the hospital as fast as possible. Phoenix and Fatima were both sitting in the backseat. Both petrified of what the doctor would say but also scared that with the way Zac was driving, they'd even make it to the hospital.

"Zac please slow down." Fatima cried from the backseat holding Phoenix's hand.

Zac doesn't respond. They're only two minutesaway from the emergency room. He knows once he takes this next turn it's a straightshot to the hospital. They were just there the night before.