✔Chapter 33 // Drive

Leah was humming along to a song she did not remember fully while the tepid water fell on her back. She needed a shower, she needed to relax after that stressful day. Every time she remembered Aaden and Jungkook fighting, she thought it was like the latter was someone completely different. Whenever he had trained, even with her, Jungkook looked like he knew a thing or two: he was confident in himself, he guided her when she asked, and she trusted him. But what she had seen was someone that didn't only handle himself, but could actually manage and win a fight. That surprised her the most, and it gave much more weight to Jungkook's doubts and fears. He had just as much potential to be a warrior as Aaden, Somsak or Lamar did, and she only realized it now.

Remembering him falling on his back still gave her the chills. Fortunately, Ella said his ribs were okay and that they were healing. She was displeased about it but gave him medicine and told him not to pull any more stunts like that, which would hopefully be easy enough to do. Daniel hadn't given many pointers but apparently, Jungkook would have to wait a couple of days for a priest from the temple to arrive. Then he could receive the tatau, and then he could leave at will.

Since he was so tired, they had decided to come home immediately. Ella said that earning the tatau was usually a cause for celebration, but that they could do it after the fact. So for that night, they had retired home, ate calmly while chatting about the fight, and were now going to bed.

Leah flinched in pain. She was brushing her wet hair in front of the mirror, and whenever she touched her piercings, the pain would shoot through her instantly. Hopefully one more day of pain and it would be over.

She liked it though, seeing her ears embellished like that. She had ball-shaped earrings in each earlobe piercing and rings on the helixes. Their golden shine reflected the light as she brushed the hair far away from them to prevent the brush from hurting her again. It made her happy with her appearance, but more than that, closer to her old self. She was certain she had brushed her hair while gazing at her piercings many times before.

She dried her hair softly with a towel, soaking up the excess, and quickly left the humid bathroom. The room was already dark as both men had gone to sleep while she got ready. She got on the bed calmly and as she put the sheets over her she gasped.

"We didn't put cream on your arm tonight," she whispered in a silent breath, more to herself than to anyone else because she assumed they would be asleep by now.

Jungkook wasn't asleep yet. He moved closer to her and murmured back, "We'll do it tomorrow morning."

She pouted in the dark but he couldn't see it. She faced the ceiling quietly, the only sound she could hear was the three of them breathing. She could sense Jungkook's breath on her left arm while she processed more thoughts in her head.

She couldn't sleep, she was too excited. While Namjoon had externalized for hours how seeing Jungkook fighting made him feel and probably helped Jungkook process it himself, she had remained silent, listening to the two talking. She found it interesting that they gave themselves some liberties to mention some of their friends, like one called Taehyung, mentioning his fighting skills, all while processing the events. She had hoped Namjoon would have expressed his concerns regarding the tatau, but he didn't. And through it all, although she had been happily listening to the two of them discuss everything, she still felt unsettled.

She hadn't even hugged him in congratulations. She hadn't expressed how proud she was of him, how nervous she had been the whole time, how he surprised her, how she really wanted to kiss him—

She felt a hand touch her left arm and she gasped, startled. She glanced in Jungkook's direction, not turning fully because her ears would hurt. She could only see a shape and his dark hair shining under the moonlight coming through the window.